Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Starter bow for Daughter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default Starter bow for Daughter?

My daughter came to me and said I don't like guns but I would like to try shooting a bow.

So now I am looking for a decent starter bow for a 13 year old girl.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2010, 04:15 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What do you think of this one Girl Power Pk Camo Archery Set, Archery, Arrow Precision at Sportsman's Guide

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I'd say Dune'r found a good starter set. At that price you aren't out a ton of $$$ if she decides to quit. Besides, you'd look damn good with that bow in your tutu...

Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tango I sell and bought my ten year old granddaughter a Mission Menace. The bows draw length is adjustable from 17 to 30 inches without the use of a bow press. The draw weight goes from 16 lbs. to a peak draw weight of 52 pounds at 30 inches.

This bow IMHO is a good value and will last her a lifetime. The bow package goes for around $300.00 and if your daughter decides she not into archery you should have no problem re-selling this bow because of it's adjust ability.

I sold one to an adult male Tuesday night as a starter bow for hunting. This bow can also be adjusted to fit every member in your household.

By the way, this is not a toy it's the real deal and comes with a lifetime warranty from Matthews.

Menace | Bow | Mission Archery

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 08-19-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Is she interested in compounds or traditional bows? I like PSE's line of youth recurves, the "Junior" model comes in a set with everything she'll need to start shooting.

I'm not a huge fan of compounds for young kids who're just getting started. There's just too much maintenance and accesories to worry about. It's easier to learn proper technique if you only have to worry about the string and the arrow, with no other gimmicks getting in the way.

Another problem youth compound bows have is that children outgrow the limited draw length very quickly. When my brother got started he used Hoyts and PSE compounds (he was 7 or 8) and although they had adjustable draw lengths he went through about four bows in a couple of years. I started with a PSE take down recurve (an Image, lovely bow) and the only thing I ever bought was a set of stronger limbs and a replacement string. I got years of excellent use out of that bow, and I still have it.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 08-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Dune that is a decnet bow but it is PINK. My daughter HATES pink.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd say hunter joe is on the right track. Mission bows are great bows and the infinite adjustments just what she'll need as she progresses. You'll have to adjust it for her but that's easy.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!