Spyderco Warrior
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Spyderco Warrior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Spyderco Warrior

I wanted to share a new project (well, new in the sense that I can share it now). This is the Spyderco Warrior. A little background...

The design was driven by Guy Rafaeli. He teaches the Israeli Navy Seals Martial Blade craft. Guy and Sal (the owner of Spyderco) have been friends for years. He needed a knife designed for their needs. Guy worked on it for quite a while and ended up with something he was pleased with. He thought that his design really looked similar to a previous design, which was the Echanis "Warrior". While the Rafaeli version is different from the others and refined for his purpose, the genetics are obvious.

There have been a number of variations of the model over the years from a number of makers. We're currently working on the history, seems to be a relatively complicated one. We'd like to provide a history of the design along with the model when it comes out. Chuck Karwan knew Echanis and worked with him. He had planned to write the history for us, but unfortunately, he passed away prior to completing it. Good man, he will be missed. We’re also working with Bob Taylor for historical information.

Spyderco has been working on the design for a few years. Guy's requirement for 4mm thick H1 did take a while to develop. Previously, H1 (Spyderco’s Rustproof steel) was only available in 3mm thickness. The design has been refined quite a bit and if put up alongside the original Al Mar Warrior, one can see many differences (for example, the full tang is skeletonized for balance and lighter weight).

For anyone unfamiliar with H1, H1 is a nitrogen based austenitic steel that we differentially work-harden that will never rust. There is no heat treating with H1 steel. Differential work-hardening happens when the blade is processed; surface grinding, hollow grinding, edge grinding, and ultimately serration grinding. Each process makes that part that was worked, harder than the balance of the blade. Our H1 blades are averaging Rc 58 at the spine and through the mid 60 Rc range at the edge.

The Warrior is moving into production now and the sheath has been chosen, but we always welcome feedback. In my brief time here, it’s been made clear that there are several people who could offer valuable feedback.

Sorry for the long post, but thanx Much for looking.

warrior1.jpg   warrior2.jpg   warrior3.jpg   warrior4.jpg   spydercowarriora.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #2

Just a few more pics...

spydercowarriorb.jpg   spydercowarriorc.jpg   spydercowarriord.jpg   spydercowarriore.jpg  

Old 07-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Kristi - Thanks for sharing with us here. That is one hell of an aggressive design there, I really like it. 60Rc at the blade edge?? That is pretty impressive - and it's done without heat treating?? How is the edge retention with this steel?

When do you anticipate the blade being released to the public and what will be the price range??

JD

Old 07-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
It's done without heat treating?? How is the edge retention with this steel? When do you anticipate the blade being released to the public and what will be the price range??
Kristy that is an impressive knife, it fits my personal criteria in what I look for in a defensive blade. I want to know the same answers asked by JD. Please PM me if needed.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Kristi - Thanks for sharing with us here. That is one hell of an aggressive design there, I really like it. 60Rc at the blade edge?? That is pretty impressive - and it's done without heat treating?? How is the edge retention with this steel?

When do you anticipate the blade being released to the public and what will be the price range??

JD
You are very welcome. Happy I could share. Edge retention is very good, on par with VG-10, particularly the SpyderEdge (serrated). With it's work hardening properties, H1 will actually continue to harden with anything that causes heat through friction. We have had numerous reports of Edge retention increasing over time, although we haven't tested that in R&D. There are other rust proof steels, we've tested most all of them, but only H1 met our requirements without compromise.

It will be one of our more expensive models, a chunk of H1 that large being the primary reason. Overall length 10-5/8", Weight 8.125 oz. MSRP will be similar to that of our Rock Salt ($379.95), but Government/Military pricing is considerably less and street price is usually 40-45% off the MSRP.

I don't have an ETA yet, but likely within the next 4-6 months. There is a long lead time due to the 4mm H1.

Hope this helps.

Kristi

Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Very nice, Kristi. That is a nice chunk of change for a blade, but it seems that it will be a blade that will last a long time.

Usually when steels get to the hardness above 55 Rc, there is worry of brittleness. The brittleness comes with the molecular change during heat treating, so I would assume that edge retention would be better since there is no heat treating in your process. Very interesting, to me.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Kristi, thanks for the chance to give you guys some feedback. The way the company interacts with various internet forums is something I've always liked about Spyderco (I'm on British Blades as well, Spyderco started some interesting debates there).

There are lots of active and retired LEOs and military guys on this board who have real world experience. I'm not one of them. I'm just a knife collector who enjoys training with knives mostly as a way to keep the beer belly within reasonble dimensions. So take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I own Al Mar's version of this design (they call it "Warrior" as well) and the older Rekat Hobbit Warrior. I've used them both in my training sessions and run some very informal tests with them (I warned you, I'm just an armchair commando!). The design is certainly very well though out and it lends itself to multiple techniques, it's easy to "flow" from one cut to the other and the curved blade makes the back edge excelent for traction cuts (like with a kerambit). My only complaint is that the guard's quillons are too large and sometimes snag on clothing, but not too hard or too often.

Based on my limited experience with the Al Mar and Rekat, and just from looking at the Spyderco Warrior's pictures, this is what I like and dislike:

-It would be nice to have a sharpened swedge at the tip, like the one found on the Al Mar Warrior. It's great for snap cuts and for traction techniques.

-Your handle seems more comfortable than the ones on the Al Mar and Rekat. They were too cylindrical. It will probably make the knife more usable as a utility blade, something most military users will probably appreciate.

-H1 is a very practical steel. I've got a couple of Atlantic and Pacific Salts and I'm pleased with them. I don't agree about it performing as well as VG-10, but that's my personal opinion and you probably have a bit more experience with steel than me. It's a very user friendly steel with zero mantenaince.

-I like the leather sheath that came with my Al Mar Warrior. But I admit that it isn't the most practical choice for a modern combat knife. Your choice seems very good, it would be nice to have a smaller kydex sheath. Although there are lots of sheath makers to order one from, and they usually aren't pricey.

-Spyderedge serrations should be a lot better than the ones on my knives.

-I also like the protruding tang on the Spyderco better than the huge nut my Al Mar has for a pommel.

-I'd prefer the sharper point (with a double edge).

Here's a pic of three Al Mar Warrior knives:

Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #8

Hello TazKristi,
I am looking forward to buying the Spyderco Warrior!
It would be a great addition to my collection.

I have a question for you TazKristi.
I have a Hobbit Warrior with a Damascus blade.
Do you have any information on this knife?
How many were made, who made it, when it was made, etc.
Thanks,
Ray

Old 03-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #9

That is a very nice.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #10

This is the information that I found on another site.

Quote:
"ChicagoRay
Is the top guard marked with the Round Eye logo? If not then it’s circa 1995 and less than 25 were produced that year. The Damascus was made by Robert L Brothers one of the REKAT owners I hope this helps."

It looks like I have an early version without the logo.
I had a custom sheath made for it by Kenny Rowe (Rowe's Leather) out of Hope, Arkansas.