Some knives I recently made and sold
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Some knives I recently made and sold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default Some knives I recently made and sold

Hi,
As of today, I only have one order for a custom handmade knife pending and the customer is still considering which blade blank to select.
That means I can now start making knives as an inventory for sale. Not sure what I'll make first.
Guess I'll look at my blades, look at my finished antler and exotic material handles and let the spirit move me. I was pretty busy right before Christmas and surprised how many people contacted me from my website, porters knives.com. It's recently been updated, but I still have quite a few blades, finished handles and sheaths that aren't pictured on the web pages.
The attached photos show knives I made before the first of the year. Critiques are welcome because I strive for continuous improvement. If you see any knives with handles or blades you like and want one for yourself or a gift, it would be an honor to make one for you guys.
By the way, I have a good inventory of my antler handles that have been carved with subjects such as eagles, bears, Whitetail bucks and other images. I have one wonderful 3D carved eagle handle, so I guess I'll also attach a picture of that for your review. My antler handle carver is Rob Roberts of Nampa, Idaho, who operates R2rockz art studio.
Take care,
Randy
402-443-4947

img_1500_knife_points_right.jpg   img_1711-copy.jpg   img_1861-copy.jpg   img_1217_ideal_copy.jpg   img_0864_knife_points_left-copy.jpg  

img_1419-copy.jpg   img_1617-copy.jpg   1530546_10202890071642525_143264763_n-1.jpg   img_1916-copy.jpg   img_1543-copy.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #2

Liked 138 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

wow that is one cool looking blue eagle. Do you make the blades? What steel are they made from?

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

People Like This 
Old 01-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3164 Times on 1797 Posts
Likes Given: 18385

You do some beautiful work , wow..!

Old 01-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Hi,
Thank you for the kind words.
No, I don't fabricate steel. I can buy 440C high carbon stainless steel blade blanks of various sizes and styles cheaper, more conveniently and with better quality than I can make.
I buy direct from a supplier who designs the blades, has them manufactured to high specifications and sells wholesale to most of the retail knife supplies retailers. He won't promote the 420C "mystery steel" from Pakistan. The supplier will provide the cheap junk steel blades if someone wants them, but he makes it clear they are strictly "practice" knife-making blades.

Last edited by wahooknifemaker; 01-16-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Hi,
I appreciate the compliment.
My skills, techniques and materials as much better than five years ago, and even better than last year. I seek advice from professional knife makers who are willing to share it, although I make it clear I'm not after any proprietary information about their products or processes.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 458 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Some very nice work there wahoo,, some of the bolstered knives remind me of some early Ruana knives,, very nice indeed.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #7

Liked 102 Times on 66 Posts

While you do good work, I don't consider anyone who doesn't make their own blades a knifemaker. Knife customizer, hobbyist, etc., but not knifemaker. Most professionals feel the same way.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:18 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 323 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooknifemaker View Post
Hi,
I appreciate the compliment.
My skills, techniques and materials as much better than five years ago, and even better than last year. I seek advice from professional knife makers who are willing to share it, although I make it clear I'm not after any proprietary information about their products or processes.

The best advice?....enjoy it.....period.

I think every "knifemaker" gets his teeth sharpened somehow and some good blade makers I know started on pre made blanks. I forge my own stuff because when I started it, nobody sold blanks...(back when the rocks were still warm) but I feel there's got to be a starting point and, working on blanks first is not an issue with me. I think after awhile, you'll find yourself interested in making your own blades....with that, I'd suggest buying a Grizzly Knife belt grinder and play around with it and see if you want to step up to a Bador or something similar. The Grizzly has an issue with the motor being in the way to some degree for me but, I know a few who put out nice work on them. I always practice with a couple good ol' paint sticks before I grind a damascus blade just to get "The feel" of nestling in to do my plunge on the real McCoy so as not to waste the metal on a goof. Another thing I encourage folks looking into knifemaking is to attend some hammer-in's functions sponsored by local blacksmiths. They are so informative and you'll get involved with other "like minds". Knifemaking is hobby for some, an income for others, decide what it will be for you and practice. Make it your best if you're going to put your touchmark on it. Again.... Enjoy!!

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

People Like This 
Old 01-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

You're right,
I don't claim to be a knife maker.
I am a hobbyist. I state that clearly on my website.
If I inadvertently implied otherwise, I apologize. I guess writing, "knives I recently made" kinda does that. Perhaps you can suggest a way for me to edit that such as "handles I recently hafted to blade blanks," or something like that.
Thanks, man

Old 01-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

How true,
I buy blade blanks because I don't have the resources such as money, equipment, space, time and knowledge to forge my own blades.
Even if I did, until I master the learning curve, they wouldn't be as good as the blemish- and defect-free 440C high carbon stainless steel blanks I buy. One thing I do that some other knife hobbyists don't, however, is limit myself to buying hidden tang blanks.
The styles and sizes available, and quality, is limited. I primarily buy full tang blade blanks then cut and grind them into stick/rat tail tangs. While the long vertical cuts aren't that difficult, consider the horizontal cuts near the bolster or guard. I leave about an 1/8 or 1/16 of the tang attached to the hilt, then use my Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to make it and even and the rest of the spot where the bolster and tang are joined. While it's not forging blades, it's more challenging that poking a pre-fab tang in a hole in an antler filled with epoxy and calling it a knife. I specialize in the handles and hafting them to the blade blanks. Some people do it all, including making the leather sheaths. I order mine custom made from a leathersmith. I don't think a hobbyist has to be a master of every aspect of a craft to enjoy it.