Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > So what's wrong with an American Buck Knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have several Bucks, all stamped USA. I've never had any trouble in the field maintaining the edge on a Buck. Mine have never needed even a touch up after dressing and skinning even two deer.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #32

Default buck knives

Buck knives are built to last, I HAVE A BUCK 110 for over 25 yrs and i still wear it and it's razor sharp

Old 08-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #33

Default buck is not hard to sharpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I have heard that alot of hunters don't use Buck because the steel is too hard.They say it's hard to field sharpen.
I have a edge on my buck 110 thats like a razor.and all i use is a Smiths Pocket Pal knife sharpener.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
I've always carried a Buck 110 on my belt. I have one case and two knifes. For every day use I use my 'new' Buck 110 (6 or 7 years old) for hunting/camping activities I Cary my old Buck 110 (about 20 years old, with a broken tip that I filed round and sharpened)

Other than being a PITA to sharpen the first time, due to their concave edge, I think they're great. Yet, I never see anyone mention using one at all on here. In fact, it seems that if you don't Cary a Kershaw <SP> you don't Cary a knife, according to this forum.

So, I guess I'm really asking what's so different about the knifes you'all carry vs. a made in America Buck?

Another question: The Bucks I've owned all were made in America, and had a little Bible verse in the box. My wife bought me a fixed blade (decorative - in my opinion) Buck knife about 4 or 5 years ago. It was made in China or something like that, and contained no little slip of paper with a Bible verse. Did Buck change ownership? or just their American Patriot attitude?
Hi there.

I`m from Malaysia and a native malay. I own two bucks.
1 is a 2008 standard 110 model and another is a 25th anni 110.

I bought the anni 110 because it`s vintage, and has a nice dating code/symbol= x, and it`s so iconic to the american knife culture.

I`m a muslim btw.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #35

Liked 76 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I prefer a carbon steel Case.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #36

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dont own a buck 110, but i have a copy made by Jet Aer Corp of japan that was my dads.

I do plan to get a 110 though and recently been researching them. They are and have continued to be made in the USA. Buck makes some knives in china but not the 110 or 112(the110s lil brother) . I know some of the pocket knives you get at walmart are made in china.

Just about any fixed blade knife would be better suited to the woods then a folder. But there isnt anything wrong with the 110, it's a good solid knife. I would prefer chrome vanadium blades, but i see the value of a stainless steel. If i was going to make a survival pack that included a knife. I would consider the 110. Compact and reliable are a must sometimes.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:50 AM   #37

The buck 110 is a great knife, it was, from what I've read, the number one sold knife in the USA for quite a few years, good old (440) stainless steel. Buck used to be great family company, very proud on being based on Christian principles, they even attributed God as part of their success, whether you are athiest or agnostic or buddhist or Christian, to me, it don't matter, they were a great good ole USA company that took pride in their product.
they were a PITA to sharpen because of the steel that they used, concave is actually easier to sharpen, IMHO, the steel that they used is a very hard steel, personally I carried a schrade folder or my own favorite a sharp finger. older Schrade used carbon steel, and it would rust if you didn't take care of it, but it was a H'of a lot easier to sharpen. but once you get an edge on a buck knife, it will last there a long time. The 110 is a favorite for field hands, truck drivers and hunters in the north and southwest USA. Kind of like the old 30-30, which has killed more deer than any other gun. Sure, they might make a better deer gun (30-06, 7 mm, 280 etc.) , but if it works, so be it. Buck 110 has probably and gutted out more deer than any other knife around, IMHO. Oh yeah, back to Buck co. they were outsourcing a third of their knives to China, and they also moved from CA to ID to cut costs, the knife world is undercut by Chinese made, Schrade closed their doors, and sold the name to China, "Smith & Wesson USA" is now made in China, damn republicans (legislation) allowed them to outsource and keep "USA" on their knives! Anyway back to Buck, I heard that recently Buck said that they were swearing to go back to all USA made.

Also, for those who give the north end of a south bound rat, there is a website that has "buck date stamps" and it gives all the little codes for buck knives so that you can tell what year(s) they were made in. Buck co. also has a "buck collectors club."

Now I'm a knife snob and have about five K in customs, and making my own, so it's hard to choose at this point. I just finished a custom skinner in dendritic 440c and now I'm working on a skinner in dendritic D2.

And I love kershaw knives, too. kabar ain't too bad, CRKT is pretty good too, CASE XX is great, but I find them overpriced for what they are, but they are USA made!

As for that many who said something about you "western cowboys" I don't mind being called an American or Western Cowboy, personally, I used to be kind of a drug-store cowboy, drove truck for five years and grew up on southern rock, ZZ top, Skinnerd, Blue Oyster Cult, Ozark Mtn., Charlie Daniels, had a cowboy hat, and thought I was a pretty tough ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
I've always carried a Buck 110 on my belt. I have one case and two knifes. For every day use I use my 'new' Buck 110 (6 or 7 years old) for hunting/camping activities I Cary my old Buck 110 (about 20 years old, with a broken tip that I filed round and sharpened)

Other than being a PITA to sharpen the first time, due to their concave edge, I think they're great. Yet, I never see anyone mention using one at all on here. In fact, it seems that if you don't Cary a Kershaw <SP> you don't Cary a knife, according to this forum.

So, I guess I'm really asking what's so different about the knifes you'all carry vs. a made in America Buck?

Another question: The Bucks I've owned all were made in America, and had a little Bible verse in the box. My wife bought me a fixed blade (decorative - in my opinion) Buck knife about 4 or 5 years ago. It was made in China or something like that, and contained no little slip of paper with a Bible verse. Did Buck change ownership? or just their American Patriot attitude?

Old 03-20-2011, 03:00 AM   #38

If it's stainless then definately use a Buck. Almost everyone building a stainless knife uses 440 steel except for Buck, they use 420. 440 is very hard to sharpen even with a diamond steel but the 420 you can hit it just a couple of times and it will shave again.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

Old 10-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #39

I carried a Buck 110 for four (4) years in the 70s when I was in the Army. And then another Ten (10) years of Civilian life I retired it a Kershaw & then a Spyderco Endura.
Joe-R

Fast is fine but accuracy is final. You must learn to be slow in a hurry!
Wyatt Earp

Last edited by XR750; 10-08-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #40

Default American Cowboy w/a Buck knife, Shcrades, several others, and an "tude"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
JNA, I'm seeing a pattern to your posts that is rather negative. You've used the term "American cowboys" a number of times and in a manner that isn't very respectful.

Now, I don't know if that's because of a language problem or not. But if it's not and you are being disrespectful, I suggest you find somewhere else to do so.
Personally, I don't find the term "American Cowboy" that offensive, of course, maybe that's because I'm in Utah, where we have some real cowboys, as well as some wanna-be cowboys, and some drug-store cowboys, and some urban cowboys, and folks can go down the the "Westerner" bar, and drink and dance. I've worn cowboy hats, drove truck, and rode a horse or two in my day. I've even owned a goat, some chickens, and a few dogs that might be considered "hunting dogs." Growing up, my friends all owned Bucks. I consider the Buck 110, the most common knife around, with "construction types", farm hands, truck drivers, warehouse workers, etc. Personally, I don't care that much for em, but I might put one in my tool box, they are bulletproof, I've used one to jump the solenoids on my truck, when I was a driver, more than once, in order to get it to start. This guy that is writing might be a "foreigner" and I see that from folks in other countries, they have a vision of what the USA is like, based on the movies and the news. Just as we used to think all Chinese guys knew gung-fu, and such. I guess you might be right, "you Chinese kung-fu guys." But I took it this guy is talking more tongue in cheek, than "serious."