So what's wrong with an American Buck Knife? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

So what's wrong with an American Buck Knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minionsram View Post
I carry a Buck Nighthawk on my side everyday. Put it through hell and back. Use it as a hammer, prybar, screwdriver and other things. I also carry a S&W SO assisted opener in my pockett. I carried a Buck 110 for about 5 years and retired that one.
+1 on the Nighthawk. Probably the oldest in my collection, I have abused it well beyond warranty, and it won't even chip, let alone break.

The 110 has iconic status, and there's nothing wrong with it. But because it has remained unchanged, it's not going to generate alot of discussion.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've never been a "knife guy" but have carried a Buck 110 since I was 11 or so. I broke the tip on my first one, Buck replaced it free of charge. I broke the tip again, and was too embarised to let Buck replace it again (I was abusing the knife both times). So I 'ground' (with a wet stone and file) the tip to a nice rounded/sharpened blunt tip.

My next Buck 110 was a 100th annivarsary edition ( I think it was 100 years, maybe 75 or 110). This is my daily carry/show knife. When I go into the woods camping or hunting, I carry the old 110 with the rounded tip.

I've used both for hammers, and have saved more than one camping trip by being the only one with a knife that could turn a small tree into a tent pole.

Needless to say, I love the Buck 110 and could/might spend my entire life with nothing else, but I stated this thread wanting to know "Why do you chose another knife over a Buck?"

Please don't hold back. This thread was meant as an educational thread. If there is some great disadvantage to Bucks, or advantage to other brands, I want to know what it is.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
+1 on the Nighthawk. Probably the oldest in my collection, I have abused it well beyond warranty, and it won't even chip, let alone break.

The 110 has iconic status, and there's nothing wrong with it. But because it has remained unchanged, it's not going to generate alot of discussion.
Well as you can see JD I have abused this one past all abuse! I do have my sharp shave a gnats arse knife that I carry on me, but this one is my "multi-tool"

So what's wrong with an American Buck Knife? - Other Weapons

Old 04-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
Needless to say, I love the Buck 110 and could/might spend my entire life with nothing else, but I stated this thread wanting to know "Why do you chose another knife over a Buck?"

Please don't hold back. This thread was meant as an educational thread. If there is some great disadvantage to Bucks, or advantage to other brands, I want to know what it is.

As I said before, I'm a fan of the Buck 110, but I know it's not perfect. It has a few disadvantages from a purely practical point of view:

-It's quite heavy. I'm not going to deny the aesthetic appeal of brass and wood, but there are lighter materials which are just as strong (if not stronger) and easier to mantain.

-420, in any of it's variants, is not a very impressive steel. Buck does a great job with their heat treatment, and the 110's blade geometry is very efficient; but there are much better steels out there (and not just on expensive knives). That's why I love the Cabela's and Custom Shop versions, which have much better blade steels (S30V, BG42).

-The blade's tip is too thin. I'm not one to use a folding knife as a pry bar, screwdriver or anything like that, but still the needle thin point on the 110 is frail. I can't remember how many re-ground 110's I've seen.

-Although it can be opened with one hand with some practice, it's not a true one hand opening knife.

However, knives are a very subjective. I could argue that something like a Spyderco Endura or Benchmade Griptilian is a better knife (better steel, one hand opening, much lighter, with a pocket clip and stronger tips), but that doesn't mean that the Buck 110 is a poor choice. It's all about what you use it for and what you like.

I like traditional slipjoints with carbon steel blades a lot, I enjoy using them and won't toss them out just because there are "better" things out there. Besides self defense, they are up to any task a folding knife should be used for. The dark patina on the blades, and the deep rich coulour of the bone handles has much more character than the G10 handles and shiny blades on my modern folders.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:48 AM   #15

Default broken tip

Why haven't you had the blade replaced? for free! Buck knives are guarunteed for ever. I broke the corkscrew on my buck whitaker. sent it off, got a new one back. unless it has sentimental value.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have never owned a Buck. I don't know why... I guess I never had an opportunity to get one. I do have Case, Benchmade, and Cold Steel... but no Buck! I suppose it's time to look for one.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #17

Buck used to be made in Michigan, but it seems to me that they went out of business a few years ago. It's really hard to keep up with Brand names any more as the names get purchased by anyone and sometimes they keep quality and sometimes they don't.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #18

I carried a Buck 110 for years and loved it. It was stolen from my luggage while travelling back in the 90s. I missed that knife so much, I never replaced it, carried Gerber until they left the USA then Kershaw. I think I will replace it now.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #19

I carried one in the '70s until it got stolen. The AF replacement was made by schrade. My roomate in AF tech school swore by his buck and the edge it had.

On a $50 bet (not with me) he attempted to shave with his. Hack up his face pretty good and almost got an article 15. ...........markerdown

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Last edited by markerdown; 07-08-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: sp

Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #20

Liked 14 Times on 3 Posts

for the guys wondering about the bible verse included with a buck knife.I just bought one today and it had it in there. although it was in a old country store and may have been on the shelf awhile.