So what's wrong with an American Buck Knife?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > So what's wrong with an American Buck Knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default So what's wrong with an American Buck Knife?

I've always carried a Buck 110 on my belt. I have one case and two knifes. For every day use I use my 'new' Buck 110 (6 or 7 years old) for hunting/camping activities I Cary my old Buck 110 (about 20 years old, with a broken tip that I filed round and sharpened)

Other than being a PITA to sharpen the first time, due to their concave edge, I think they're great. Yet, I never see anyone mention using one at all on here. In fact, it seems that if you don't Cary a Kershaw <SP> you don't Cary a knife, according to this forum.

So, I guess I'm really asking what's so different about the knifes you'all carry vs. a made in America Buck?

Another question: The Bucks I've owned all were made in America, and had a little Bible verse in the box. My wife bought me a fixed blade (decorative - in my opinion) Buck knife about 4 or 5 years ago. It was made in China or something like that, and contained no little slip of paper with a Bible verse. Did Buck change ownership? or just their American Patriot attitude?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
JNA

I got to use a Buck 110 around a year ago, and I didnt like it that much. I dont know why, but the 4 inch blade just feels sort of unfamiliar and I guess short [I have a knife with a 5.5 inch blade which I think is excellent. Not to mention it was hand made in Serbia].

EDIT: I suggest you should try using a Kizlyar Orlan. It is really a great knife, and is excellent fo military AND hunting purposes [And the blade is 140mm [5.5 inch] long, so if I could get one it would be perfect for me. I wouldn pay more than AUD$120 for one, so I guess for you American cowboys it would cost around 45-60 bucks.

Last edited by JNA; 04-18-2009 at 08:37 AM.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I think buck knives are good knives. But the 110 just never felt right to me. It was always to big for the pocket and not big enough for the belt. I don't like having a knife in a sheath on my belt.

Is it a good knife yes It is just not right for me. Thats all.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:04 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Absolutly nothing wrong with the good old Buck 110. It is one of the most popular "USED" knives around. Here in the rural west it is very popular with construction -rancher types. However Im a Case man myself.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Does anyone know anything about the little Bible verse that used to come in the box? There wasn't one in the last Buck I got.

I am wondering if they changed philosophy's, ownership, or what?

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-19-2009, 03:16 AM   #6
JNA

Well, maybe it isnt actually a 'buck' knife. Seeing as it is made in China it might be a fake, cheap version.

Of course, id prefer the one with no bible versus. But then again, thats a whole different topic under my atheist views

Old 04-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNA View Post
Well, maybe it isnt actually a 'buck' knife. Seeing as it is made in China it might be a fake, cheap version.

Of course, id prefer the one with no bible versus. But then again, thats a whole different topic under my atheist views
What does a bible verse have to do with a knife? So what if it comes with one. If you don't like it don't read it. But then again you call yourself an atheist. So a good well made knife by a person that loves god and country shouldn't be wasted on a OK I am going to shut up now.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

- Unknown

Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

JNA, I'm seeing a pattern to your posts that is rather negative. You've used the term "American cowboys" a number of times and in a manner that isn't very respectful.

Now, I don't know if that's because of a language problem or not. But if it's not and you are being disrespectful, I suggest you find somewhere else to do so.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I carry a Buck Nighthawk on my side everyday. Put it through hell and back. Use it as a hammer, prybar, screwdriver and other things. I also carry a S&W SO assisted opener in my pockett. I carried a Buck 110 for about 5 years and retired that one.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I believe a Buck 110 is a must in any knife collection, I've got a few, my favourite is the version sold by Cabela's which has a fantastic S30V blade instead of the usual 420hc one. I think I payed around $60 for it.

However, the regular version is quite good as well. Especially once you factor in the price. I've got lots of more expensive knives with fancy materials, custom pieces by several bladesmiths, and the good old 110 still manages to compete for some belt time.