Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Slipjoints!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Slipjoints!

They aren't really weapons, but I think this is probably the best subforum for them.

I just love a nice slippie with bone handle and carbon steel blades, they are such an exquisite tool. Thin blades ground to a razor sharp edge, materials that age beautifuly and the charm of a past long gone.

I like modern folding knives, new steels and strong locks but I haven't found a single modern knife that I enjoy more than a well worn trapper or even a lowly sodbuster.

Honestly, the only reason why I could need a lock on a knife is for SD. When using them as a tool I can't remember a single time in my life when I wished for a lock on a slippie. I always have a fixed blade knife nearby, and know the limits of my pocket knife, so that might be part of the reason.

They aren't tacticool, and most of mine won't turn any heads at a knife show, but they are still my favourite. Here are a few that I use often. Most of them are from Case, with a couple of customs and other assorted brands mixed in.

Share yours! I'm sure we've got a few old timers around here with some nice pocket knives.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

From top to bottom the knives are:
-Custom by Diego Atwell based on the knife found of the body of George Mallory. Stag handle, 52100 steel blade. There's filework on the backspring and the whole thing is just a mechanical wonder. Love it. English lambsfoot knives are my absolute favourite.

-Schrade 219 (Peanut Jack), this one was given to me as a gift. It's a few decades old but it was mint in box. Since I've got no safe queens I sharpened it up and tossed it in my pocket. Lovely knife, excellent old American craftsmanship.

-Case Trapper (amber bone handle, CV blades). One of my all time favourites (yes, I've got a ton of favourites!). It was one of the first carbon steel pocket knives I bought.

-Imperial TL29 (electrician's knife). Another gift from the same fine gentleman that sent me the Schrade. I've been carrying it since I got it. It's really great, very useful and comfortable in my hands. I like that it has a lock on the screwdriver but not on the knife blade.

-Case Sodbuster Jr. (CV blade). A great working knife, an American Opinel of sorts. Simple, well built, affordable. There's something about that obnoxious yellow handle that really appeals to me.

-Case Penknife (CV blades). This is one of my most used small knives. It's really sheeple friendly (especially the smaller blade), but the larger blade is still big enough for most urban cutting. It's so slim and light that I just forget it's in my shirt pocket.

-Great Eastern Cutlery Scout (1095 blades and jigged bone handle). GEC is a new company (I think they started in 2006 or 2007) that's producing some excellent knives. They offer them in both 1095 and 440C, I'm partial to 1095 because I like the patina it gets with use.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Last edited by Franciscomv; 03-27-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Really. Just how many knives do you have, my good fellow? Do you have an accurate count?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:04 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have been a knife collector for more years than I care to admit and specialize in antique bone handled folders. I only have a couple of the newer "combat folders". When the youth of our nation want to see my knife they are stunned and look quizical at my bone handle old knife. I try to explain the attributes of my preferences but it just doesnt soak in. They say you cant kill anyone with one of my knives! These are the same young kids dont think they built any guns except black plastic autos. The history of the folding knife is so long that it cant be traced. It is known that Aristotle made a folding knife for his personal use. I have many antique folders in my collection including one from the 1770's. When I run my hand over these I close my eyes and wonder where they have been and what they have done.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Really. Just how many knives do you have, my good fellow? Do you have an accurate count?
I stopped counting after I got to 400, that was some years ago. Most of them are outdoors tools with lots of fond memories, they make me feel closer to my mountains when trapped in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I have many antique folders in my collection including one from the 1770's. When I run my hand over these I close my eyes and wonder where they have been and what they have done.
That's great! I'm more of an accumulator than a true collector, I pretty much ruin the value of any knife that I get my hands on by using it. Is there any chance you could post some pics? I'd love to see some of those.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 03-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I have been a knife collector for more years than I care to admit and specialize in antique bone handled folders. I only have a couple of the newer "combat folders". When the youth of our nation want to see my knife they are stunned and look quizical at my bone handle old knife. I try to explain the attributes of my preferences but it just doesnt soak in. They say you cant kill anyone with one of my knives! These are the same young kids dont think they built any guns except black plastic autos. The history of the folding knife is so long that it cant be traced. It is known that Aristotle made a folding knife for his personal use. I have many antique folders in my collection including one from the 1770's. When I run my hand over these I close my eyes and wonder where they have been and what they have done.
I would love to see a pic of the one from the 1770's as well as some of your others. You have a captivated audience!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have about 40 case knives and a few older kissing crane knives. It's hard to do better than one of those if you want/need a good pocket knife. I need to snap a pic or two of them for here

Some real pretty ones in the pics so far

Old 03-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Well, not quite 40 but here they are. Most are Case I've picked up here and there. There's a few older ones but most are newer ones. There are a couple Hen & Rooster and Kissing Crane folders. I got a couple pretty nice German Kissing Crane Stiletto knives in there too.

I like knives like this for every day use. I have some lock blade knives too but Most of those sit in a drawer. You can't beat the good steel they use in a Case knife.

I'd love to see those 1700's knives...man what history. I can only imagine....

Old 03-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Old Case and old Remingtons are great collectors knives and many are in my collection. However there are some other brands from the early 1900's that have unsurpassede quality as well. A few to keep your eyes open for are, New York Knife Co, Honk Falls , Holley, Winchester, Union Cultery are just a few. I will get my wife to photo some. Im glad Im not the last fan of the classic folders.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post

I like knives like this for every day use. I have some lock blade knives too but Most of those sit in a drawer. You can't beat the good steel they use in a Case knife.
Nice collection! There's some lovely bone in there. I'm quite fond of Case knives for EDC as well, although I only use CV ones. I don't care for their stainless, I wish they offered something a bit better than their Tru Sharp (which is just 420). I've got a couple in better stainless steels, but they are all from limited runs.

(canto XII, st. 6)