Shrapnel identification/origin.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Shrapnel identification/origin.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 02:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 859
Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

So, at this weekends military collector show, I got a few neat goodies, as always. One of these neat things was a piece of artillery shrapnel I found in a $1 box. It's once piece of copper with deep rifling. I was looking over it a few minutes ago, and surprisingly I found writing etched in it! It looks like someone scratched the words "mount sect" on the back (I'm pointing at it with a pencil in the pics). Can anyone tell me what it possibly came from, and what "mount sect" could mean?

image-631099438.jpg   image-3515318000.jpg   image-1843952518.jpg   image-1929018627.jpg  
__________________

Last edited by Gizord1; 04-23-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Gizord1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,897
Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Default

Here is what I CAN tell you-

Being made of steel, artillery shells will not engage the rifling in the bore very well, And if they did, barrel life would be about 5 shells, and rifling but a faint memory.

For that reason shells have a couple of copper alloy driving bands. The shell is slightly smaller than bore diameter, Those raised copper bands, slightly larger. When the propellant fires, those acts as piston rings, and, being softer than the barrel steel, are gripped by the rifling, engraved by the lands (leaving the marks you see).

To a true cannon cocker, what you have there is not shrapnel, but frag, or fragments of a shell.

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 859
Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Here is what I CAN tell you-

Being made of steel, artillery shells will not engage the rifling in the bore very well, And if they did, barrel life would be about 5 shells, and rifling but a faint memory.

For that reason shells have a couple of copper alloy driving bands. The shell is slightly smaller than bore diameter, Those raised copper bands, slightly larger. When the propellant fires, those acts as piston rings, and, being softer than the barrel steel, are gripped by the rifling, engraved by the lands (leaving the marks you see).

To a true cannon cocker, what you have there is not shrapnel, but frag, or fragments of a shell.
Alright, thanks!
That's some piece of info.
Now if only I could figure out what the etching means.
__________________
Gizord1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 859
Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1

Alright, thanks!
That's some piece of info.
Now if only I could figure out what the etching means.
I think I may have figured it out!

http://www.sbct.army.mil/Mortar-Carrier.html

It is hard to tell whether it is "mount sect" or "mount sbct"
If it is the latter, sbct stands for "Stryker brigade combat team"
__________________
Gizord1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 859
Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1

I think I may have figured it out!

http://www.sbct.army.mil/Mortar-Carrier.html

It is hard to tell whether it is "mount sect" or "mount sbct"
If it is the latter, sbct stands for "Stryker brigade combat team"
Oop, its artillery, not mortar.
But still, the sbct thing could be the same.
__________________
Gizord1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
bentley m30 origin zatiboy72 General Shotgun Discussion 0 12-19-2012 10:10 PM
Cimarron Plinkerton .22 shrapnel issues indyfan Revolver Handguns 11 11-29-2011 04:49 PM
Manufacturing Mark or Shrapnel Damage Jesse17 Revolver Handguns 2 03-01-2011 03:12 AM
Nabojov Ostrych origin ? Should I use it ? b44106 Ammunition & Reloading 1 04-04-2009 01:36 AM
The origin of the .44 Special Bob Wright Revolver Handguns 0 06-13-2008 02:09 PM