Sharpening
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Sharpening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sharpening

I have a couple of knives, switchblades and pocket knives, how can I sharpen them to a razor's edge?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Sharpening

Hunted/ALL

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

You can put a Razor enge on most knives no problem, the trouble is, depending on what sort of steel they are and how hard it will be to get an edge back on it? Many Switchblades and Modern Knives are "Stainless steel" that means they are made of a steel with elements to make it resistant to rust, Not Rust Proof! This is a good thing most part! Carbon steel, you know, the older steel some steak knives used to be made of, Rusted realy easy and were smooth how they cut? Carbon steel knives are smoother steel and take an edge easier and I prefer them! Down side is, they are harder to find in our Modern, Lazy world! All one really needs to Put a Good edge on any knife is a set of Simple stones, Soft and Hard Arkansas or Equivelent! A set of Tri-angle stones From Spyderco has been a companion item with me for years and is great to touch a edge up, but to really sharpen a kinfe, stones and files are needed! A small Mill file will allow you to remove a gouge, or nick and get the basic edge that you want started! Then you use the Softer, rougher stone to slice the stone with the knife to set the edge! A smaller and harder stone is used in the same manner of Tip to Handle and Pretent your slicing a thin strip of the stone, you have to maintain an equal angle on both sides and you will see an edge start to form? Don't relax yet, Make sure that you maintain the bevil and that it's getting sharper, not rounding off? Do this till it will slice and hold a piece of paper as a test! How long and How well it will cut depends on how well you set the bevil and polish the blade? The Temper and material of the steel will decide how long it holds that edge along with abuse and use habbits? I started just trying to copy what the Knife maker put on the blade, over the years I know what cuts best and what I like better so I use the Factory edge till it needs sharpwened, then I re-cut the Bevil to my needs? it's not as had as it sounds, but it does require patience! Now, I'm not a "patience" type guy, but Life and a Limited wallet have slowed my impulsive hands down to what works for me?

What will work for you? I have No Idea? I do know that You can match or surplass the edge and bevil of most factory knifes with some simple, slow stone and file work! Slow and Easy, Stone and CUT, Try and Error, thats what Life and Sharpening is all about? Good Luck and let us know how your edge came out?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehuntedhunter View Post
I have a couple of knives, switchblades and pocket knives, how can I sharpen them to a razor's edge?
I use a cheap $10 sharpener from the local sporting goods store and a steady hand. Sharpen the blade drawing it in one direction only (don't go back and forth). Strop the blade on stiff leather or cardboard afterward.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #4

Default sharpening

Part of the "razor sharp" portion is the angle at which the blade is sharpened. I have a Lansky [sp?] sharpening system which I use on
all the blades in the house- good results. Steel composition [stainless,
tool steel,etc] and heat treat will determine how well and how long the
edge performs.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:45 AM   #5

I use Lanskey Crock Sticks and follow it up with a few swipes on an old leather belt. Usually does the trick.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #6

Default Razor aint good for working

I have a few knives I collected from around the world and I have been a fisherman for more years then I care to think about and I need a sharp knife for working with nets and long lines I found a razor edge doesnt last long and it becomes so dull it would not cut a basic line I have found some old steak knives worked pretty good on the deck but when I need a good edged blade in the mountains I take a old carbon blade and at least a basic two sided wet stone with me they are cheap and come in different sizes holding one at a 20% angle will cover most working edges no you wont be able to shave with it but it will work all day for you at cutting meat and ropes as well as shaving some wood chips for a fire and when you sit down at the end of a long day you take out your wet stone spit on it and slide your blade over it and yes in one direction AWAY from you .... you will see doing it that way gives you a good working edge but also relaxes you at the same time and when you are done rub a little gun oil over the blade and slip it back into its sheath then light a pipe ( Tobaco ) and dream of that big buck out there waiting for you ...........

Old 06-08-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10969 Times on 4752 Posts
Likes Given: 1803

Many knives will have a "razor edge" that is a wire edge- sharper than a mother-in-law's tongue- but it will go away at the first cut. I keep one good carbon steel knife sharpened like that- for skinning. Rest have a less aggresive bevel. Exception is my Gerber, which can be sharpened to a flatter angle than most others. Use a hard arkansas for most sharpening, ceramic stick for honing. BTW, if you do not have a ceramic stick, in a pinch, take a ceramic coffee mug, turn it over- there is an unglazed ring where it sat in the kiln. You will leave a gray streak on the mug, but a green scotch-brite pad will take it off.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #8

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If the steel is 440 or better you should be able to get a good edge. Depending what shape the edge is in now would have as much to do with how to sharpen it than what you need to use. If the edge is tore up then you will have to start over and use something to get a good bevel started then finish up with a stone. Those little V shaped sharpeners can get about any hardware or sporting goods store works goods for that. But as long as the bevel is not all chewed up than most any sharpener will do what you want or at least get you close enough where a stone can finish it up.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Those Lansky kits with the guide rods and thing you clamp on the blade to run the rod through are great for establishing the initial angle. If the steel is hard it will take longer than you think it ought. I generally use a 2 sided diamond thing I bought at Loews for $20 and follow it up with a few strokes on the Henkel steel to take off the wire edge. Not the most elegant edge you can get but it happens in 3-4 minutes instead of 20.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #10

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Lansky's are ok but the macdaddy sharpener of them all is the Edge Pro.

I myself just throw away a knife when it gets dull. Cheaper that way.