San Mai III or Nepalese kukri? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

San Mai III or Nepalese kukri?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 AM   #11
jyo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default CS=bad?

Well, in my recent dealings with CS, in the first case, I ordered a knife and when it arrived, I found the thing was made in CHINA (!)---I called them and they readily refunded my money. In the second issue, I ordered a SRK from a third party and I felt the sheath fit poorly, again I called them and they sent a new one in two days (it fit fine). So, that has been my only dealings with CS and in both cases they handled my concerns well. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #12

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyo View Post
Well, in my recent dealings with CS, in the first case, I ordered a knife and when it arrived, I found the thing was made in CHINA (!)---I called them and they readily refunded my money. In the second issue, I ordered a SRK from a third party and I felt the sheath fit poorly, again I called them and they sent a new one in two days (it fit fine). So, that has been my only dealings with CS and in both cases they handled my concerns well. Sorry to hear about your problems.
There needs to be a label saying "warning made in china".

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
I'm interested in both. The Cold Steel San Mai III is corrosion resistant, uber sharp, has a good grip, an ambidextrous sheath, & chopped a friggin pig in half!! But it's $350. The Nepalese is made from a leaf spring, & is around $50 depending on the model but the shipping is about $40. Anyone have experience with either one? I'm not looking for a zombie slayer just an all around big a$$ knife.

I can't speak to the CS haters. I don't doubt some people have good reason to not like them. That said, I haven't personally ever had a problem. I think the knives they make are for the most part very well made and competitive at their PRICE POINT. Not saying they're the best thing ever, in fact there's a lot CS knives I don't like at all for various reasons. But dollar for dollar, they're ok.

Onto San Mai: I own 5 San Mai blades, with the Black Bear being my personal favorite ( just like the looks ) and also own the Kukri. 1st off, if you get one, shop a bunch and make sure you're getting a good deal - prices vary wildly amongs these - If you pay more than half MSRP, you're probably paying too much. So far as the steel goes, my experience is that the San Mai blades themselves are almost indestructable. Now, here's the bad news: The edges in my own hacking experience, tend to be brittle and chip easily. Not from cutting paper or hacking through a branch, but if you hit anything hard, it's gonna chip. That's the trade and it's justly a turn off to a lot of knife guys. Overall though, consider that the CS Kukri can be had for under 300 if you look. Compared to the Busse counterpart it's absolutely inferior but way, way cheeper. Compared to a Nepolese spring steel version, I don't know - I've never owned one but they look cool and seem a good value for the price.

this being my 1st post, I apologise if I've violated the NO CS rule - not trying to piss anyone off - just offering my opinion.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Let me due an overdue address here.

We did an impromptu test on the CS Spartan, the thread is in the review section.

We contacted CS about halfway through, and told them what we were doing. We had hoped that CS would pop in and give us feedback. They responded to Tango, and said that they'd review the thread, maybe give us input.

Weeks went by, nothing from CS. Alot of the guys here felt snubbed, especially since alot of those guys bought the knife based solely on what we were doing in the thread.

CS products are great. I hate to admit it, but they perform exactly as they do in the videos. And Lynn Thompson has managed to copy and offer damn near every knife design ever made.

As far as reaching out to it's customer base, CS sucks azz. As I said, we sold a load of $60 knives for these guys, and only asked that they pop in for an hour, and maybe answer questions from the same guys that purchased them.

As far as the kukhri is concerned, it is a special blade that maybe deserves a little more respect and honor than just being churned out.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From what I've seen a real kukri is heavy thick steel, but they use it for pretty much everything splitting wood, self defense, general stuff. It has the properties of an hatchet but in the shape of a blade. I've always wanted one.

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 AM   #16

Agreed, it's one of the more versatile blades in the world.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 AM   #17

This tickled my fancy:
Khukuri Catalog

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #18

Very nice. Might be time for the First Annual FTF Khuk-Off.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #19

Likes Given: 2

Hi i'm a little late, i've just registered here to say one thing to the original poster.

HEY DUDE !!! don't make the same error like me !!

I bought the $350 piece of steel from CS in San Mai III and the Chiruwa Ang Khola from Himalayan imports for $175 -shipping include- and the CAK pwn my SAN MAI all the way ! Check out there website you'll find out very grat deal, the CAK is their most durable (full tang) and it's really cool if you like kukris AND PLEASE don't buy a butter knife from kukurihouse, yeah it's cheap but it's crap.

The Cak can also be a substitute to a prybar.. but i would'nt recommend (i don't do that with mine.. oh no! )

The only "problem" for the Chiruwa, is that it can rust, but a oil treatment fix it easily.

Some comparison 1) Chiruwa Ang Khola 2) Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri 3)4) KUK from india >>

San Mai III or Nepalese kukri? - Other Weapons

and sorry for my poor english, i'm french.

Last edited by Bob124; 03-01-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob124 View Post
Hi i'm a little late, i've just registered here to say one thing to the original poster.

HEY DUDE !!! don't make the same error like me !!

I bought the $350 piece of steel from CS in San Mai III and the Chiruwa Ang Khola from Himalayan imports for $175 -shipping include- and the CAK pwn my SAN MAI all the way ! Check out there website you'll find out very grat deal, the CAK is their most durable (full tang) and it's really cool if you like kukris AND PLEASE don't buy a butter knife from kukurihouse, yeah it's cheap but it's crap.

The Cak can also be a substitute to a prybar.. but i would'nt recommend (i don't do that with mine.. oh no! )

The only "problem" for the Chiruwa, is that it can rust, but a oil treatment fix it easily.

Some comparison 1) Chiruwa Ang Khola 2) Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri 3)4) KUK from india >>

and sorry for my poor english, i'm french.
Thanks for the info. Well luckily I haven't ordered one yet. I looked at the Cak & it's nice

You could've fooled me, your English is very good. Welcome to the forum.