Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Rust removal/curing on blade (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/rust-removal-curing-blade-88399/)

BeyondTheBox 04-08-2013 12:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm not a big knife guy. I mean, I own several and always do, but I don't take care of them. I don't even sharpen them when they dull. I just toss them aside and buy a new one. But I'm looking to change that. I've got this old hunting knife I've used and had for years. Sat around and just found it again, sharp as ever, but rust spots all over. Is there anything I can do here? It still works and probably will for a while, so no big deal if I can't, I'll replace it eventually. Just curious...

Thanks!

kytowboater 04-08-2013 02:11 AM

Wd40 and a fine steel wool is what I would do. Then use protectant on metal after that.

BeyondTheBox 04-08-2013 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 1206956)
Wd40 and a fine steel wool is what I would do. Then use protectant on metal after that.

Okay, I've got some 0000 steel will around here somewhere, should serve nicely. Thanks for the suggestion!

I guess it was either that or another round of donations! ; D

Dan308 04-08-2013 02:52 AM

I was gonna say Flitz

kytowboater 04-08-2013 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan308
I was gonna say Flitz

An didn't even think of it. You would know best though.

griffin81 04-08-2013 04:00 AM

0000 steel wool and break fluid works well

BeyondTheBox 04-09-2013 05:33 AM

Well my steel wool was gone so I used sos pad. It removed the orange on surface but I can see the only way to keep it from coming back would be to remove a whole layer of metal. So I'm just going to let it ride and consider it a battle scar proving worth and usefulness. Lol

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

nosaj 04-09-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1208087)
Well my steel wool was gone so I used sos pad. It removed the orange on surface but I can see the only way to keep it from coming back would be to remove a whole layer of metal. So I'm just going to let it ride and consider it a battle scar proving worth and usefulness. Lol

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

The rust is on the surface. With some patience and alot of rubbing.....it wil come off. Try a little bit each day...using different rubbing solutions. WD 40, blaster(penetrating oil), vinegar, ......

BeyondTheBox 04-09-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosaj (Post 1208143)

The rust is on the surface. With some patience and alot of rubbing.....it wil come off. Try a little bit each day...using different rubbing solutions. WD 40, blaster(penetrating oil), vinegar, ......

Okay, patience definitely not my strong suit, but a bit a day isn't too hard at all. I'll have time tomorrow, car in shop, so I'll give it another go or two. Used brake fluid today, will try braklean or wd40 tomorrah.

Thanks for encouragement