Revoler or pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Revoler or pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Revoler or pistol

Ge long question I know, but I have a new twist. I was shot in Afghanistan and lost use of my right arm, so for concealed carry I'm in a toss up. Slim subcompact 1911 style 9 mm or .40 or 38 spl/357 revolver. Pros and cons revolver bulky and six smaller shots pros easy to fire no use of two hands. Pistol longer takes two hands to work if not pre set up prior to every use, pro more rounds larger rounds thoughts

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Wow, what a situation! Thank you so much for your service in Afghanistan.

Since both platform require two hands for tactical reloads, I understand the thought for having more rounds. I'm wondering why you are limiting it the the 1911 platform for the 9mm. I carry Kahrs every day and really appreciate the thin size and straightforward DAO trigger. The CW9 carries 7+1 rounds, the TP9 carries 8 rounds, and no external safety. Its profile makes it a great IWB pistol. Plus the rear sights on these are shaped in a way that you could use your leg/thigh/table to rack the slide, if necessary.

A revolver doesn't seem to me to be a great IWB gun, but I've only carried mine OWB. You are less likely to have to clear a malfunction with a revolver and if the malfunction is the ammo, you only need to pull the trigger again. Since you probably don't want to go 357 with only one hand, you'd be limited to the 38spl+p and I'd rather have 9mm any day.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #3

True, all good points I'll check out the khans. Looked at a taurus 357 felt good and good price

Old 07-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

First of all thank you for your service, sorry to hear of your injuries.

Personally I would lean towards a semi-auto for several reasons. It can be cycled with one hand using the heel or back pocket, the ammo being in the mag is easier to manipulate than loose rounds or a speed loader, mag changes can be accomplished by dumping the empty mag than reloading with the muzzle held between the knees or under a folded knee.

What I would recommend is consulting a trainer or instructor that has some experience working with disabled or handicapped shooters. He would be the real expert here and can offer advice, tips and specialized training.

To tell you the truth, one handed loading and firing is a skill all shooters should master, just in case.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #5

Also good point, I also think will I need six or more shots? if in a situation I have to use my concealed

Old 07-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysancho
Also good point, I also think will I need six or more shots? if in a situation I have to use my concealed
I carried a revolver for several years, I never felt under gunned with only six shots. And I didn't carry reloads either.

I can't really make a good recommendation for you in your situation. I know a good bit about guns, but I'm far from being an expert. What I DON'T know the first damn thing about is only being able to use one hand/arm.

But, I wouldn't shy away from a revolver based on capacity alone.
Also, look up some Massad Ayoob videos. He does quite a few where he is running guns one handed, doing an injury simulation. It may give you some more insight.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Thank you for your service!

Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #8

God bless and thank you for your service! I would agree with Jpyle's post and look into a trainer and tell them you situation making sure they have experience with one handed drills. That being said there are many great semi-auto handguns out there that are super reliable and unlikely to have any issues when using good ammo. Also you can get item for a Glock for instance that would be good for you... Such as a charging handle and extended slide lock release, talon grips for a better one handed purchase on the gun! I think a G26 or 19 would serve you very well. Good luck and good shooting!

Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #9

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysancho View Post
Thank you for your service. I carry either/or depending on the season. Wouldn't carry a revolver if I didn't feel confident in it. Studies have shown most SD situations are 1-3 shots. If you've got to reload, it's no longer SD, it's a firefight. In that case, you're in deep excrement, I don't care what you're carrying or how much ammo you've got.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8845 Times on 3829 Posts
Likes Given: 1374

Agree with Donn. I carry either/ or, and have carried a K frame S&W- a revolver can conceal very well.

Have a good friend that lost most of a hand on his 3rd tour in RVN- he has learned to cycle his 1911 pretty well- the advantage of a revolver is that if it does NOT go bang, immediate action is pull the trigger again. No tap, rack and roll. A speedloader for a revolver can give you fairly quick reloads, and a .357 is managable with one hand.

For defensive carry, you are buying yourself time to run. If you are looking for 15+1, that is moving away from the pure defense.

Whichever, practice, practice, practice.

And welcome home, bro- and welcome to the forum.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 07-12-2012 at 02:03 PM.