Review: Kershaw Blur
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Review: Kershaw Blur

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Review: Kershaw Blur

Based on another thread, I went ahead an purchased the knife through Amazon for ~$50/shipped.

Admittedly, the "regular" (non-coated blade) Blur can be had for ~$30/shipped, but I liked the look of the black blade more and wanted the Tungsten coating.

The Blur weighs in at 4.2 oz and is a Ken Onion design with a 3-3/8" drop-point blade (which I prefer over the Tanto model) coated in Tungsten DLC (Diamond Like Carbon).

The Sandvik 14C28N stainless steel blade has a thumbstud on it for fast one-handed opening and uses a locking liner to keep it open. I think they nailed the design of their SpeedSafe(R) system. It just opens beautifully.

The 4-1/2" aluminum frame with reversible pocket clip has rubberized inserts - one of this knife's selling points for me. The inserts are not overly rough; they're not going to tear/wear clothing. It isn't skate deck material. The inserts are also not tacky or gummy. They just feel good in hand and give you a good positive grip. The knife doesn't have a finger groove, which some may not like, however, I feel that the shape of the handle will do a good job of keeping your hand off of the blade.

The blade comes über-sharp from the factory. Trust me on this. Yes, I am one of those tools that cuts himself within minutes of sitting down with his knife! And I didn't so much cut myself as I did shave some skin off. I simply brushed the tip of the blade with the back of my thumb and was surprised to see the thinnest curl of skin sitting on the knife. It literally shaved a sliver of the top layer of my skin off. We're talking razor thin.

Bottom Line:

• Relatively light weight
  • Super sharp blade
  • Flicks open wonderfully
  • Nice positive grip
  • Great EDC knife
  • Well priced, high quality, and Made in the USA!
And now for the gratuitous pics!

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 08-18-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I also bought one (the cheaper one) and it is great but felt a bit too big and heavy in my pocket so I purchased Kershaw Leek (Sandvik 14c28n) for $31.28. IMHO, the Leek is a much better EDC. YMMV.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I like the looks of it. Thanks for the report.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Thanks, knfxda. I like Kershaw and Ken Onion designs in particular. It's a matter of time before I get one of these...it's just getting more difficult to justify buying ANOTHER folder.

Meh. Screw justifying it. My wife is in Dallas this week. I'm goin' shopping.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

LOVE the Blur!!!! I have the Tanto and it's actually my third. I ended up giving the first two to friends that wouldn't give them back after I let them handle mine.

I never leave the house without one!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I also bought one (the cheaper one) and it is great but felt a bit too big and heavy in my pocket so I purchased Kershaw Leek (Sandvik 14c28n) for $31.28. IMHO, the Leek is a much better EDC. YMMV.
I'd have to agree on the YMMV. I don't even notice the Blur.

Leek:
Handle: 410 stainless-steel
Blade Length: 3 in.
Closed Length: 4 in.
Weight: 3.0 oz.

Blur:
Handle: 6061-T6 anodized aluminum with Trac-Tec inserts
Blade Length: 3 3/8 in.
Closed Length: 4 1/2 in.
Weight: 4.2 oz

You're only talking about 1.2 oz difference (that's equivalent to 12 pennies) and a 1/2" when closed. Not to mention, the benefit of the textured handle over a "slicker" stainless steel handle. I also find the drop-point to be more utilitarian than the clip-point.

Don't get me wrong. I like them both. I just like the Blur better. As you said, YMMV!

Last edited by knfxda; 08-17-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Honestly, I didn't like the looks of the Leek as well...until I got it.

The thing that I miss about the Blur most is the handle texture. I think it is the combination of size and thickness that made it feel so much bulkier in my pocket. One thing I will admit too is that I would rather have the Blur in my hand than the Leek come "business" time if I had a choice but as they say...it is better to have a small one you will carry, than a big one you will leave at home.

I do keep my Blur in my BOB and my wife also have a Blur in her purse.

Please don't get me wrong, both are great knife IMHO...Leek just suits me (my pocket) better.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If this is the one I'm thinking of (can't tell without it being closed) it has a little bump on the back when it's closed so when it's clipped in your pocket you can make it open as you pull it out, and even if it's not the one I'm thinking of, it's got to be a great knife (I have yet to see a Ken Onion design that isn't)

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
If this is the one I'm thinking of (can't tell without it being closed) it has a little bump on the back when it's closed so when it's clipped in your pocket you can make it open as you pull it out, and even if it's not the one I'm thinking of, it's got to be a great knife (I have yet to see a Ken Onion design that isn't)
The Leek can be deployed by the stud or even faster by the "bump" on the pivoting end (when closed).

Old 08-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #10

Just checked out this vid. The Leek is pretty tight if you're looking for something smaller:

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA