Replaced handles

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Replaced handles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Replaced handles

Seeing Pandamonium's home made blade inspired me to post some of my knives. I do not have the skills to make a blade (yet) but do know how to replace and shape the handles.

Most of these are Cold Steel blades, and most of the handles are Micarta. Black Linen, Brown Canvas, Green Canvas, Black Paper, and Red Linen. Micarta is essentially layers of cloth or paper that are glued together and compressed with epoxy. A couple of them are wood. One ebony, and one Desert Ironwood (certified 75 year old cut, 25 years ago).

The small knife is a laminated Japanese blade made by Kanetsune. Their bladesmith is a "several-th" generation swordmaker. It has a bunch of folds to the steel. I made the handles from a small piece of heartwood I bought 20 years ago at a gun show. The sheath was my first attempt at making a real sheath. It turned out exactly the way I pictured it in my head.

The one with the stained blade is my OLD Carbon V Master Hunter. It has been with me in the field for 20 years, and has seen much hard use.

The odd looking one in the 3rd and 4th pic is a cheap Cold Steel with an ebony handle. I wanted a primitive, hand lapped look and fitted it to my right hand. Nicknamed it "Magua".

The big ones are Recon Scouts. One is the early, "Sterile" version with no markings on it. The one with the ironwood is special. Single block of wood, set with crushed up 100 million year old fossilized dinosaur bone and crushed meteorite mixed in with the epoxy, then pinned. I spent a month filing and sanding the block down to what it looks like now.

My lousy pictures don't show it, but the top knife in pic 4 is a Cold Steel Mountain man knife with Red Linen and brass pins. Nice thin blade cuts very well. Abrasive blasted the blade with aluminum oxide and blued it.

Nothing very special, but I love them and they work for me.

So, who else has some fun with knives and wants to post pics? I have a few more pics on PB and will post them, too.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #2

Here are a couple more. Close up of the Iron Wood handle, and two of my SRK's.

One in Green Canvas with brass pins.
And one with Black Paper and the hand lapped look which makes for a great grip that is not rough to the hand. That one has a Red Linen lanyard hole.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-08-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Very nice work M14's. I especially like that last knife with the ironwood handle.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Very nice work M14's. I especially like that last knife with the ironwood handle.
Thanks, Don.

That was my first one, and was a collaborative effort with my good friend who died this year. He was my mentor, and guided me on this one. He also gave me the Ironwood block and even drilled the hole by hand for the tang.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 09-08-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sweet about the knife. But, I'm sorry for your loss.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Sweet about the knife. But, I'm sorry for your loss.
Thanks. It was time for him to go, and he is in a better place. But he always loved how that knife turned out, so you are in good company.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #7

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Nice work. I have a few knife blanks and handle material that I need to work on. Just haven't made the time yet for them.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

M14sRock, that is some VERY nice work there! I hope the scales I put on my experiment turn out half as good!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
M14sRock, that is some VERY nice work there! I hope the scales I put on my experiment turn out half as good!
Dude, if you can shape that blade blank, you can do handles in your sleep!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Dude, if you can shape that blade blank, you can do handles in your sleep!
Ha ha ha, we shall see!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson