You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Registering a flare gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
Default Registering a flare gun

After doing a bunch of research it looks like I need to register my mil surplus 26.5 mm Czech flare gun if I take it out in the woods or on the boat. As just a flare gun it is not necessary, but sense I also have a Kennasaw 410/ 45 long colt sub-caliber insert it changes everything.
So has any one registered one of these? Or am I opening up a can of worms I will come to regret?
Thanks for your thoughts,
ran440 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2014, 03:13 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 101
Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts


Pardon my ignorance but is this flare gun a pistol or shoulder fired?

If its shoulder fired and the barrel is less than 16" you have the components to an SBR and would have to apply for the stamp as such. This also applies if it is under mounted on a rifle
ams556 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 849
Liked 353 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 5


If the insert is rifled, it's just a handgun.
If the insert is smooth bore, registration requires a $200 tax stamp from the BATF. You can not legally assemble an NFA weapon until after it is registered and you possess the tax stamp.
BillDeShivs is offline  
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
c3shooter's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 21,310
Liked 16486 Times on 6796 Posts
Likes Given: 2694


What Bill just said up there ^^^.

Assume your insert is from Kennesaw Cannon Co. They are rifled. Nothing to register with ATF, It is a pistol- nothing more- so long as it does not have a shoulder stock.
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
c3shooter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10

This is a Pistol. No shoulder stock. And yes the insert is a rifled Kennesaw Cannon Co. product.
ran440 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Registering Your Guns Polygon General Handgun Discussion 13 12-31-2013 09:39 PM
Flare gun for shooting birds?! A bearbanger flare?! 180baseball General Handgun Discussion 20 07-19-2013 12:13 PM
Registering firearms... tri70 The Club House 2 02-28-2013 04:30 PM
Registering old handguns jgand72 Legal and Activism 5 05-12-2011 09:04 AM
Registering Old Firearm dnthmn2004 Legal and Activism 0 05-08-2008 11:10 AM