R.I.P. R. W. Loveless
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > R.I.P. R. W. Loveless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default R.I.P. R. W. Loveless

Bob Loveless, one of knifemaking's legends, passed away yesterday morning. His work influenced a lot of people. His selfless sharing of techniques and information left a mark on many knife makers and aficionados.

I remember how, many years ago, I found his book "How to make knives" at a friend's grandfather's library and just couldn't put it down. It was my first contact with the custom knife world (some fifteen years later, that book was left to me in the old gent's will).

Besides his clean, functional and beautiful designs Loveless brought a lot of innovation to knife making at a time when everything seemed to be stagnating. He turned people onto what we now call "super steels" by bringing ATS-34 to the US from Japan for knife making. He showed materials like Micarta could bring better performance than any of the previously used handle materials. He helped start the Knifemaker's Guild.

Those of us who eat, breathe and live knives he's one of those men that you can't help mentioning when discussing the modern knife, together with men like Scagel, Bo Randall and Bill Moran.

He was also a gun guy like us. I had a chance to meet him and his wife Yoshiko during an interview for a Spanish magazine. I remember his 1911 on the coffee table and his fantastic sense of humour. I was just there as a translator, and I was tremendously nervous. It was one of my first gigs and to make matters worse I worshipped the guy. I was terrified to make a mistake. After listening to him talk about his knives I decided to adopt my "no safe queens" rule.

His knives are now worth thousands of dollars, which kind of pissed him off. Looking through some old press clippings I had gathered during my research I found this phrase which always makes me smile. Ha said it back in 1980.

"Why would anyone pay $3,000 for a hunting knife? They say, because my name is on it. I'm carrying an awfully big rep. If I were a gunfighter, I'd be hiding in a cave somewhere. But I wouldn't spend that much money for a knife if it were autographed by Jesus Christ himself!"

Rest in peace, Mr. Loveless.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #2

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

R.I.P. Bob

loveless-battle_knife.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Godspeed Mr. Loveless - Your contributions shall not be forgotten!

JD

Old 09-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #4

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

** mad respect **

orig.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Beautiful craftsmanship. Rest in peace sir.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-04-2010, 03:53 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Not quite to knives what JMB was to firearms, but a giant in the field.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:25 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Not quite to knives what JMB was to firearms, but a giant in the field.
BLASPHEMY!! This man's true genius has not been judged by 100 years of "innovation" yet.

My money says he will still be mentioned by the great-grandchildren of this forum. You know, in the future, when all they have to do is THINK about what to post and it appears on their cornea-fed-interwebz-sub-window.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:33 AM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

R. I. P. Mr. Loveless sir! Your devoted contributions to craftsmanship and design function will always be in the forefront of other knife creations. ** Respect **

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

His genius has been judged by about 40 years of "innovation" now, and most of the "cutting edge" designs(including mine) are derivations on his work. If you think I lack admiration for Mr. Loveless; well, I know you're uninformed because you know damn little of me.
I love ya JD, you've been damn decent to me since I discovered this coffeeklatch, but I think sometimes you're a wee bit fond of bringing the hammer down with a "declaration of truth".

Old 09-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Never into knives too much and had never heard of Robert Loveless until now; my loss. His knives are artwork, pleasing to the eye and of obvious functional utility. May you rest in peace, Sir!

People get the government they deserve.