A question for members from Georgia
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > A question for members from Georgia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default A question for members from Georgia

I'm thinking about visiting Atlanta soon, so I was reading up on the local knife laws since I'd like to keep prison cells out of my tour schedule.

I'm not a lawyer, and English is not my first language so I wanted to double check that I'm understanding things correctly:

-Concealed carry of anything the law defines as a "weapon" is a big no-no. Knives with blades over 2" are considered weapons, so anything larger needs to be carried openly.

What exactly is considered "open carry" for a knife? My SAK has a blade over 2", am I OK if I carry it in a belt pouch instead of in my pocket? What about folders with pocket clips? Are those considered "concealed" even if the clip and a bit of the knife sticks out?

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Francisco, the way GA law currently stands - it's better not to carry at all. Here's a link to a great site for GA laws and everything that is applicable to handguns is generally applicable to knives. The worst thing about visiting Atlanta is the "within 1000 feet of school property" law. As Atlanta is home to lot's of schools - it can be a real challenge staying legal. The "public gathering" law is also a bad one as most lawyers can't agree what it means.

Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, I thought the public gathering thing could be a problem.

The mere thought of going blade-less is enough to make me cry. Maybe I should look for a nice Arizona girl instead, they've got some great knife laws there!

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #4

I really like Georgia; however, most of us don't consider Atlanta to actually be part of Georgia...

Old 05-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #5

Also, forgive me for not extending you an invitation to visit Savannah while in GA. It's 4 hours away by interstate and I know the folks that run the best indoor ranges in the area. My local range even rents Class III stuff and is really popular with visiting folks. I ran into a bunch of folks visiting from Australia about 6 months ago and they had an absolute blast shooting the SMGs.

I could load up all of my toys and offer you some really cheap trigger time. My local indoor range charges $10 to shoot for the entire day...

Old 05-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #6

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Yeah, I thought the public gathering thing could be a problem.

The mere thought of going blade-less is enough to make me cry. Maybe I should look for a nice Arizona girl instead, they've got some great knife laws there!
You sir, are welcome in Arizona any time.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I could load up all of my toys and offer you some really cheap trigger time. My local indoor range charges $10 to shoot for the entire day...
Thanks for the invite, NGIB. I was originally going to go to Atlanta in early June, for Bladeshow. I decided to postpone it because I'm going with a friend, we can only get a few days off work and I'd rather meet her folks than spend three days looking at knives (for the life of me I can't figure out why).

If everything goes according to plan we should be there during the last week of July. I'd love to meet you for some shooting! I'll let you know when we've got a set date, but evenif it's not in July it'll be in the next couple of months for sure.

Nitrox, thanks for the invitation as well! I don't think I'll be able to make it in this trip, but a visit to AZ is long overdue. I've got a couple of friends there that I haven't seen in ages.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #8

Just let me know when you're coming. Perhaps I can even get a bowling pin match setup...