You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Q: Are boxcutters legal to carry now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
TAP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Just received this email from kniferights.org

Doug Ritter <dritter@kniferights.org>
10:52 AM (2 hours ago)

Mr. Stewart,
To best of my knowledge there has never been any restriction on box-cutters in Texas, unless there were some local jurisdiction restrictions prior to us passing knife law preemption in 2015. The word “cutter” only appears once in Texas statutes and not in relation to a box cutter. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SearchResults.aspx?CP=1&Code=ZZ&Phrase=cutter

Doug Ritter
Chairman and Executive Director
Knife Rights, Inc.
Knife Rights Foundation, Inc.
www.KnifeRights.org
twitter.com/KnifeRights
facebook.com/KnifeRights
Email: dritter@KnifeRights.org

America's Grassroots Knife Owners Organization™ Rewriting Knife Law in America™
Have you signed up? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
Join Knife Rights Today for a Sharper Future Tomorrow™

This electronic transmission may contain confidential or copyrighted information which is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, publication or use of the contents of this electronic transmission in any manner other than that specifically authorized by the sender is prohibited and may be subject to legal sanctions.

TAP SYSTEMS
Michael W. ( Mick ) Stewart
Phone: 713.261.7113
Facebook: TAP Systems
Twitter: @threatassesspu2
Email: threatassesspull@gmail.com

Member, Texas Concealed Handgun Association (TCHA)

Old 06-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #12

Liked 5011 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 8294

a boxcutter is simply a tool, just like a hammer, a crowbar or a screwdriver.

can they be used as a weapon? of course they can, and they have been, all of those i listed. but they were never designed or intended to be a weapon.

take a baseball bat for instance. never designed or intended to be a weapon, but try assaulting someone with one, and it's likely you will be charged with assault and possibly a weapons charge.

anything you can think of could be essentially used as weapon, regardless of what it was originally designed to be used for.

this is why i get so angry at liberals who want to demonize an inanimate object, instead of holding the person who used the object responsible. this applies often many times to firearms as if they were evil objects that think on their own and force it's user to commit heinous acts with them.

"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #13

Liked 2824 Times on 1585 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
a boxcutter is simply a tool, just like a hammer, a crowbar or a screwdriver.

can they be used as a weapon? of course they can, and they have been, all of those i listed. but they were never designed or intended to be a weapon.

take a baseball bat for instance. never designed or intended to be a weapon, but try assaulting someone with one, and it's likely you will be charged with assault and possibly a weapons charge.

anything you can think of could be essentially used as weapon, regardless of what it was originally designed to be used for.

this is why i get so angry at liberals who want to demonize an inanimate object, instead of holding the person who used the object responsible. this applies often many times to firearms as if they were evil objects that think on their own and force it's user to commit heinous acts with them.
What you say is true, however if you use a hammer in an assault, it becomes a deadly weapon and will be treated as such in the legal system.

Carl Sagan
Dallas53 Likes This 
Old 06-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #14
TAP

Should have mentioned in the beginning ( was stressed for time ) the original reason for the post was based upon the comments we've heard in Houston that officers have made arrests when box cutters have been found on their person. Can't confirm that for a fact, but the officers we have spoken with in our precinct will either not answer the question whether they can be carried or will state directly ( as one Patrol Sgt at Starbucks several months back ), "All I will say is, don't carry one." A retired Sheriff's Deputy I spoke with stated a year ago, "a box cutter is a gravity knife and thats ground for arrest. So no, I would not carry one."

TAP SYSTEMS

Last edited by TAP; 06-19-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12472 Times on 6539 Posts
Likes Given: 26408

Why are you so afraid of boxes?
People Like This 
Old 06-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #16
TAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Why are you so afraid of boxes?
Oh damn .... nearly spit out my coffee laughing so hard
that made my day!

TAP SYSTEMS

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
What you say is true, however if you use a hammer in an assault, it becomes a deadly weapon and will be treated as such in the legal system.
anything used offensively towards another person in an assault can be determined and labeled a deadly weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP View Post
Should have mentioned in the beginning ( was stressed for time ) the original reason for the post was based upon the comments we've heard in Houston that officers have made arrests when box cutters have been found on their person. Can't confirm that for a fact, but the officers we have spoken with in our precinct will either not answer the question whether they can be carried or will state directly ( as one Patrol Sgt at Starbucks several months back ), "All I will say is, don't carry one." A retired Sheriff's Deputy I spoke with stated a year ago, "a box cutter is a gravity knife and thats ground for arrest. So no, I would not carry one."
well, any officer who does try that with the wrong person who has a legitimate reason for having a boxcutter will probably end up on the wrong end of a lawsuit if they aren't careful. because, a boxcutter in of itself, isn't a weapon, it's a tool, not a gravity knife. and most boxcutters have very little of the blade even exposed, and most are friction fitted, so they don't slide very easily.

please don't assume just because someone in law enforcement is suppose to enforce the law, always knows the law. you would probably be surprised at the number of officers that have little understanding of the law. if you want a clear and concise explanation and understanding of the law, consult an attorney instead.
"the hate which we all bear with the most Christian patience, is the hate of those who envy us."
People Like This 
Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #18
TAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
please don't assume just because someone in law enforcement is suppose to enforce the law, always knows the law. you would probably be surprised at the number of officers that have little understanding of the law. if you want a clear and concise explanation and understanding of the law, consult an attorney instead.
Contacted several attorneys. No one had a clue.
Will be hitting up the HPD Union, City Hall and HPD HQ this week.
An arrest made for a box cutter places a CCW's weapon in the hands of HPD.
"And in the belly of the beast, there, there, it shall remain."

TAP SYSTEMS

Old 06-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #19
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 15796 Times on 6571 Posts
Likes Given: 2557

Disclaimer- I am not a lawyer (Mom & Dad were married)

Does the Texas law on concealed weapons address knives at all- or firearms?

Is there a city ordinance about knives?

The Virginia concealed weapons law does address all sorts of nasty items- years ago had one rookie trying to write a kid up that had a forked stick type slingshot. The Virginia law prohibited carrying (among other things) a slungshot. Slingshot and slungshot are two different critters.

slungshot.jpg

Originally a weight (shot) wrapped in cord (monkey's fist) used by sailors to heave a line- also used as a striking implement.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAP View Post
Contacted several attorneys. No one had a clue.
Will be hitting up the HPD Union, City Hall and HPD HQ this week.
An arrest made for a box cutter places a CCW's weapon in the hands of HPD.
"And in the belly of the beast, there, there, it shall remain."
well, i think an officer would have to look at intent and circumstances in a given situation.

he stops some young guy on his way home from working in grocery store stocking shelves and has a boxcutter would be much different than stopping some known gangbanger caught with one. one could surmise different intent with the boxcutter. one would be legitimate, and the other not.

one company i worked for years ago, had a company policy about knives carried at work. as long as the knife was a locking blade, and had a blade length under 4", it was considered a tool. non-locking, and blade over 4" was considered a weapon and against company policy.

TAP Likes This