Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Protecting Blades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Protecting Blades?

What do you use to protect your blades?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2007, 02:55 AM   #2

Just from the elements? Tuff Cloth.

"Is the average person stupider than he was a generation ago? Or do you just run into more stupid people because fewer stupid people are getting eaten by bears?" - Bill Maher

Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #3

weekly sharpening and frequent use keeps them rust free for me

Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Long term storage gets a heavy coat of oil and wrapped in plastic. Frequently used blades are cleaned and sharpened weekly. I use a dry bike chain lube on the pivot and on the blade itself. Oil attracts pocket lint and dirt. The dry chain lube doesn't.

Blades with higher carbon content and lower chrome content may need to be worked with a fine steel wool fairly often to remove any light oxidation.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The amount of protection required will vary considerably, depending on the environment. What part of the country are you in? Microcrystaline Wax is a good choice for collectable blades that aren't used a lot. It works well on just about any material (metal, wood, plastic, etc.).

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Old 02-16-2008, 05:06 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You can get cans of spray silicone lubricant that is clear and creates an almost dry film. It keeps rust at bay and lubricates without being oily.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #7

Ballistol goes on every gun, blade, fishing equipment. Non-petroleum. My uncle had been using it since he was a kid back in the 1920's. I've been using it since the 60's. The unique odor takes a bit of getting used to, but the results are more than worth it for me. As for muzzleloaders, nothing else is even a close 2nd as far as I'm concerned.

But as for the question asked by Wolf -- did you actually mean this type of protection, or were you referring to protecting the edge during transport, use, and carry?

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. ...A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason."

~ Thomas Paine, January, 1776, from "Common Sense"

Last edited by TMCXJ; 02-20-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typo's

Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 AM   #8

If the handles can be removed, send it to Rocky Mountain Arms and have it bearcoated. Game blood wont even touch the finish and it will not rust .

www.bearcoat.com or 800-375-0846 talk with Phil about knife blades.