Police trouble carrying a knife?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Police trouble carrying a knife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Police trouble carrying a knife?

My wife and are looking forward to the joy of coming to the United States ...
Hiring a car and driving around California, Oregon and Washington for the month of November.

I grew up on a farm, have worked fishing boats, police ....

And have a 4" folding blade in my pocket at all times. Here in NZ this can be seen as "carrying an offensive weapon ". And charges can be laid. Depends on the officer / situation. they are "offensive weapons" under the Crimes Act and should only be carried with a lawful, proper and sufficient purpose (this does not include "self-defence").* Then the only defense is " reasonable cause". I take my chances. I keep a low profile.

She expressed concern. "What if the US Police find that in my pocket?"

What be the situation in these states.? Is it illegal to carry a folding pocket blade? Is it common?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5690 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 378

its very common. we consider such blades tools not weapons. not much different than carrying a cell phone or pager. even though its not really enforced and no one strip searches you cept in milwaukee wisconsin... its what your doing at the time that determines whether local laws will be enforced or not. if you have a blade like you describe get mugged and talk to the police they find it nothing is likely to happen but its up to the descretion of the officer if its an illegal length. if your fighting and arguing drunk beligerent etc the police use such things as a "sentence enhancer"

most places other than new york and new york state, massechussettes, chicago and all of california generally recognize your right to self defense.

some cities staties counties have laws determining whats a legal "knife" and whats not. lengths types etc vary state to state but its generally ignored unless your arrested for being naughty in some other fashion.

in america you cant fly on a plane with a knife of any length unless your a known muslim terrorist or gang member. you can put such items in checked luggage that is locked with tsa approved locks. check with your airline for specific rules on knives guns etc in checked baggage each airline is different.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-12-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Im unsure about California and the the other states you're planning on visiting, but in Texas, you'd probably get arrested if you didn't have a gun or a knife on you.
In Texas, any knife with a blade over 5 1/2 inches is considered an Illegal Knife. With a 4 inch folder you'd be just fine.
I've carried a knife of some kind just about every day for the past 6 or 7 years, I and have never been in trouble for having one.
I come across people when I work who carry knives, and I take them temporally as it poses an officer safety issue, but they always get their blades back when my contact is over.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 10-21-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Fixed it for you

Old 10-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8888 Times on 3848 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

The laws on a "legal" knife CONCEALED IN YOUR POCKET varies a great deal from state to state.

In Virginia, any non-folding knife concealed from observation is a concealed weapon. A folding knife with a cutting edge longer than 3.25 inches is also.

Some states restrict carrying of a butterfly knife, some restrict double edged blades, etc.

Tell us what states you plan to visit, and we can give you more specific information.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hope you enjoy your visit to the states. You will find most areas to totally ignore your pocket knife (folder). They are a non item unless used in a criminal activity. Have carried a 4 inch folding knife all my life and have never been questioned about it even during searches. They just lay it to the side until through. Like another said--they are tools. You may even be able to purchase a shotgun/rifle while here to keep as you travel. Can someone check on it for him. Hope your travels are great. Will be doing the same thing next spring but from Alaska through Wash,Ore, Cal.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
its very common. we consider such blades tools not weapons. not much different than carrying a cell phone or pager. even though its not really enforced and no one strip searches you cept in milwaukee wisconsin... its what your doing at the time that determines whether local laws will be enforced or not. if you have a blade like you describe get mugged and talk to the police they find it nothing is likely to happen but its up to the descretion of the officer if its an illegal length. if your fighting and arguing drunk beligerent etc the police use such things as a "sentence enhancer"

most places other than new york and new york state, massechussettes, chicago and all of california generally recognize your right to self defense.

some cities staties counties have laws determining whats a legal "knife" and whats not. lengths types etc vary state to state but its generally ignored unless your arrested for being naughty in some other fashion.

in america you cant fly on a plane with a knife of any length unless your a known muslim terrorist or gang member. you can put such items in checked luggage that is locked with tsa approved locks. check with your airline for specific rules on knives guns etc in checked baggage each airline is different.
Ma has no blade length restrictions

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4733 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scare_Rab View Post
My wife and are looking forward to the joy of coming to the United States ...
Hiring a car and driving around California, Oregon and Washington for the month of November.

I grew up on a farm, have worked fishing boats, police ....

And have a 4" folding blade in my pocket at all times. Here in NZ this can be seen as "carrying an offensive weapon ". And charges can be laid. Depends on the officer / situation. they are "offensive weapons" under the Crimes Act and should only be carried with a lawful, proper and sufficient purpose (this does not include "self-defence").* Then the only defense is " reasonable cause". I take my chances. I keep a low profile.

She expressed concern. "What if the US Police find that in my pocket?"

What be the situation in these states.? Is it illegal to carry a folding pocket blade? Is it common?

Here's an excellent explanation of knife laws in the US.
Enjoy your visit KIWI, you will like the States.

Link
http://thefiringline.com/library/blades/knifelaws.html

NSDQ

Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

I've carried a knife in one form or another since I was a kid and I've never had a problem. The only place, other than boarding on an airliner, that I couldn't carry one was a court house in a larger city. I had to check it at the door but got it back on my way out. Other than that, I've never had a problem.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #9

Liked 87 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman
I've carried a knife in one form or another since I was a kid and I've never had a problem. The only place, other than boarding on an airliner, that I couldn't carry one was a court house in a larger city. I had to check it at the door but got it back on my way out. Other than that, I've never had a problem.
I got called for Federal jury duty once and you have to go thru a metal detector to get in so I left my knife in the car. Well I was chosen to bigger on the jury and I noticed by the 3rd day that the Marshals that guarded the courthouse would just wave its thru even with our keys setting the thing off. Do on day 4, my knife stayed in my pocket where I have carried one for around 30 years.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #10

Liked 1463 Times on 885 Posts
Likes Given: 339

I don't live in that part of the country, but in the Deep South, a man without a pocket knife would be considered suspicious.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

People Like This