Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Pistol-Sized Crossbow (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/pistol-sized-crossbow-1161/)

Mr45 07-09-2007 04:20 PM

Pistol-Sized Crossbow

Hello, I have a pistol sized crossbow.
What would be the best thing to hunt with something like this?
Does anyone else own or have experience shooting these?
How much do they typically sell for?
What are the best arrows to use?
Is there a good place to get the smaller arrows required for it?

Any advice is appreciated Thanks

RONSERESURPLUS 07-09-2007 10:03 PM

Pistol Size crossbows?

Hello 45/all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I have had a bunch of these over the years in the 35 and 75 pound bow range! They were a fun diversion and I guess with a lot of use and pratice, you might be able to take small game, I.E> rabbit, squirrl and the like, but most crossbows are severly underpowered! The rifle types I've had in compound as well as conventional bows up to 200 pound range and due to the "Bum" type of start the crossbow bolt get, it's like division of that power by more than 3X! Most are not enough to hunt with and most states don't allow for legal hunting with a crossbow of any kind? Ohio is the olny state I'm aware of that allows normal hunting with them!

I'm not trying to shatter your well though idea's, but they just are short of the task! With that said, they are fun, serve a purpose of target and fun shooting with minimal backstops! Bolts (Arrows for the crossbow) can be found in the pages of a shotgun news magazine and most walmart stores carry them! They are legal to buy through the mail and they can range from crappy ones about $12.00 for 10 to aluminum jobs costring 5X that! Buy what you like and can affoard! Best to buy a few different ones and see what works best in yours?

Good luck, have fun and let us know how that all works out, OK?

RON L

Splatter 07-10-2007 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS (Post 4187)
The rifle types I've had in compound as well as conventional bows up to 200 pound range and due to the "Bum" type of start the crossbow bolt get, it's like division of that power by more than 3X! Most are not enough to hunt with and most states don't allow for legal hunting with a crossbow of any kind? Ohio is the olny state I'm aware of that allows normal hunting with them!

I dont know about other provinces; but British Columbia allows the hunting of all big game, including bison and grizzly with crossbows having a minimum draw weight of 150 lbs. (The bolts also have to make some minimum requirements for weight, cutting diameter, etc.)

rambob37 07-31-2007 09:07 PM

Oh Yeah...Those Things!

Yeah.They seem really neat.Definately on my "must check it out" list.;)

FALPhil 08-01-2007 12:39 AM

You guys been watching The Road Warrior again? ;)

Benning Boy 02-14-2011 01:14 AM

Junk. I'm unaware of one with sufficient power to ethically take the smallest animal.