Pepper Spray

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Pepper Spray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Pepper Spray

I carry a 47 gram bottle of pepper spray in a clipped holster on my belt while I am out walking. I usually walk for about an hour. It's turning colder now and I am wondering if the propellant will lose some of its pressure or if the mix its self will separate or coagulate in temperatures between 33 and 40 degrees. When it gets colder I will move it closer to my body but that means it will take longer to get to also.

HAVE FUN

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Depends on the specs for your brand. Ones I know of are rated to about -5 degrees F. Over a period of time, ANY aerosol can lose pressure, and as temps drop, so do the internal pressures. You can researh the brand you have, and if it is over 2 years old, would replace it.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #3

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I wouldn't worry too much about the formula, and I don't think it would lose enough pressure to matter. I've used spray cans in freezing temps, WD40, spray paint, whatever, and didn't notice any adverse effects to the pressure.

There should be a storage temperature on the can or package. By all means, try to stay within those recommendations, but keep in mind that they are for long term storage. If it stays in your home most of the time, and you carry it with you for a walk lasting for just an hour or so, I wouldn't fret a bit.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #4

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

But yes, as c3 pointed out, the stuff does expire or lose potency. I've seen a guy spray some in his mouth because he thought it wasn't working (Military Police OC training) Turns out, it really wasn't potent anymore. He said it was like a good curry, with just a slight kick. But then the can he sprayed me in the face with was nice and fresh. NOT FUN.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2017 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Look into a Kimber Pepper Blaster.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The OP here,

I always but them 3 at a time. One to use, one for a back up and one to play with to get to know how it sprays. The package on the back up one reads good untill Feb. 2013. But they are almost 2 years old now. I think I will go ahead and replace them the next time I get to the store.

Thanks for your help.

HAVE FUN