pcp or nitro piston air guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > pcp or nitro piston air guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default pcp or nitro piston air guns

I want to buy my first small game air gun in the $300 range. I looked at the benjamin discovery .22 pcp and the benjamin trail xl1100 .22np. Which is better for accuracy up to 50 yards and which is more powerful fpe.

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does. XD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

could a benjamin trail .22 or 25 kill a coyote

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does. XD

Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #3

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

If your going for an air gun I'd go with the Remington summit I have one in .177 and love it, however if your looking for serious umph, they make air guns upto .50 cal that shoots something very similar to a miniball. They can be used for big game hunting. But hose will be more than 300$ likely, Airforce Airguns make very good air rifles also

Old 01-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1981 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 591

The pcp rifles are far superior to the piston rifles and they cost a lot more. Serious air rifle hunters use pcp rifles. There are quite a few videos on Utube. With proper shot placement and a short enough range you probably can take a coyote but keep in mind you only have 50 ft lbs of energy at the best. It would probably require a head shot. I would consider it marginal and would not use it for that purpose. Great for rabbit or squirrel and pest control. You will have to check on legality in your state. I have been looking at the Benjamin Marauder. Attached is a link to the Discovery. Shop the price before you buy and click on the watch the video link.
http://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin-discovery-22.html

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 01-07-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 479 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 158

PCP is the way to go for serious air gun hunting. The only problem I have is the expense and the additional equipment needed to keep them shooting. I've been shooting a Beeman 22 caliber for years. Spring action, single shot, but a dependable, accurate rifle that will get the job done out to 30 - 40 yards. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

phideaux Likes This 
Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1981 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
PCP is the way to go for serious air gun hunting. The only problem I have is the expense and the additional equipment needed to keep them shooting. I've been shooting a Beeman 22 caliber for years. Spring action, single shot, but a dependable, accurate rifle that will get the job done out to 30 - 40 yards. good luck
I have one also and it is a good gun but I am still looking at the pcp rifles. =/- in everything. PCP is very quiet and no noticeable recoil so you can use any scope. Also no spring lag. The Discovery in 22 might just be a good option at $400 ready to shoot with pump and scope although I am not to thrilled with the scope. The Marauder is quite a bit more money by the time you get it outfitted.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 971 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

For my use I'm a fan of the Nitro piston. I have a Crosman Venom with a Charlie DaTuna trigger installed. The 177 cal is all I need for backyard target practice, general pigeon, and squirrel eradication services.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:08 AM   #8
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

I highly recommend the Crosman MTR77. .177, 1000 fps with lead and 1200 with alloy pellets. It has the nitro piston. I got mine on amazon for about $180-ish.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY