Old Battle knives
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Old Battle knives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 03:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Old Battle knives

I have never had a better knife then a good combat bayonet I have a Old M-7 in a M8A1 scheath I also have a swedish bayonet thats about 93 years old both are razor sharp and in exellent shape and I use these when I go up in the mountains for everything I dont use the expensive fancy ground hunting knives I even have a couple hand forged blades with wooden grips and yes I even have a old skinning blade i got at a muzzle loading shop years ago it cost me a whole 5 bucks and it has been used on so many skins it is showing wear from being sharpened with a old hand wet stone. I know there are lots of guys out there that have those fancy blades with a tactical version with a price tag in the high end of a hundred bucks ... WHY ? LOL no offense guys I am just a old timer who enjoys his easy low level kinves they served me well these many years I have no reason to change......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

My problem with the high dollar knives is I hate to spend the money then use it how I use a knife. For about anything. I've had great luck is decent knives that didn't cost me a while lot. I do have a decent collection of Case knives that I buy just because I like liking at them. Some of those are kind of pricey because they are older. I have a S&W Border Patrol folding knife and one with Winchester on it (not sure who actually made it). THe steel is pretty good but nothing fancy. I can put a good edge on them and if I chip a blade I can replace then a few times over for what a Benchmade would run me. I used to like Gerber knives poretty well till I got one with a china stamp on it.

To each their own I guess but I'll keep my old hand made fixed blades and the cheaper folders. And yeah..I got a couple old bayonets too

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As long as it is solid built and takes a good edge,I am good with it,most of my favorite knifes cost 20.00 or less. I have a scharade sharpfinger and a gerber gator as my no.1 hunting knifes.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have collected antique knives for years and to find a 100 year old knife in mint condition is the ultimate goal of all collectors. However when I find an old folder that has been heavily used but not abused I just wonder the story it could tell. While the new ones have no history the used ones have been there and done that. A bonus in my book.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like knives, I like talking knives, meeting knife makers, using knives, looking at them, etc. I'll probably get married just so I can get my favourite maker to forge a one of a kind cake knife for the ocassion.

I enjoy adding pieces to my collection and using them, so when I find something I like and I can afford it, I buy it. It's not just about function, I'm very aware that a $400 knife is rather unlikely to perform four times as well as a $100 knife.

I'm not a true "collector" since I've got no safe queens, my unique customs work for a living just like all my blades. Because that's the way I get the most pleasure out of knives: cutting stuff!

Still, I feel drawn to simple inexpensive knives that get the job done. In fact, I tend to enjoy using them more than some of my "better" knives. Classics like Opinels, Case yellow handle CV slipjoints, Scandinavian fixed blades (everybody needs a Mora #1!) and basic Swiss army knives.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)