OC Spray

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > OC Spray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default OC Spray

How much does it suck getting sprayed with OC? I have my training coming up in the end of May. Any ways to prepare for it?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #2

It sucks pretty bad, especially if they plan to spray you directly in the face. A lot of people tend to freak out at first due to the feeling of suffacation. It can also re-activate later on that evening when you take a shower. If they're mean, they may have you run prior to being exposed to open up your pores for more chemical agent to be absorbed.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2707 Times on 1416 Posts
Likes Given: 221

As a OC instructor with over 500 students under my belt I can give you some advise. I have been self sprayed from swirling winds over two dozen times. Just remember this, It is only pain. It is temporary. Do not freak out. Remain calm and work through the pain. Use plenty of cool running water to decontaminate. Do not use swimming pool water (the high chlorine content makes it worse). Do not bother with any of the home spun cures (Milk). None work. Save your money on the decontaminating sprays sold by the OC manufacturers. They don't work.

Roll with it. It is temporary. It does suck for a few minutes. I have developed a "Resistance" to OC from repeated exposure. I have been known to spray it into my own mouth just to get a rise out of people. Yeah, I'm a little off.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

do you think my asthma and acute allergy to peppers will make it suck even more? has or can someone die from OC spray?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
do you think my asthma and acute allergy to peppers will make it suck even more? has or can someone die from OC spray?

If that doesn't trigger an asthma attack, nothing will!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2707 Times on 1416 Posts
Likes Given: 221

A full blown asthma attack is most frequently brought on by intense activity or anxiety. When the pain hits, it will cause anxiety. If you can relax and roll with the pain, knowing it is temporary, you will be fine. With over 500 direct exposures under my supervision I have never seen asthma to be an issue.
Allergy to pepper? I kind of doubt that. I have never heard of a legitimate allergy to pepper. IF you are truely allergic to pepper, you have chosen the wrong line of work. LE related training and work will expose you to pepper spray eventually.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Allergy to pepper? I kind of doubt that. I have never heard of a legitimate allergy to pepper. IF you are truely allergic to pepper, you have chosen the wrong line of work. LE related training and work will expose you to pepper spray eventually.
yup, allergic to chyanne peppers and others in that pepper family. also have tons of allergies to other foods. it sucks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!