Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   OC Spray (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/oc-spray-4437/)

dnthmn2004 05-13-2008 12:00 PM

OC Spray

How much does it suck getting sprayed with OC? I have my training coming up in the end of May. Any ways to prepare for it?

chorst294 05-13-2008 01:45 PM

It sucks pretty bad, especially if they plan to spray you directly in the face. A lot of people tend to freak out at first due to the feeling of suffacation. It can also re-activate later on that evening when you take a shower. If they're mean, they may have you run prior to being exposed to open up your pores for more chemical agent to be absorbed.

robocop10mm 05-13-2008 03:44 PM

As a OC instructor with over 500 students under my belt I can give you some advise. I have been self sprayed from swirling winds over two dozen times. Just remember this, It is only pain. It is temporary. Do not freak out. Remain calm and work through the pain. Use plenty of cool running water to decontaminate. Do not use swimming pool water (the high chlorine content makes it worse). Do not bother with any of the home spun cures (Milk). None work. Save your money on the decontaminating sprays sold by the OC manufacturers. They don't work.

Roll with it. It is temporary. It does suck for a few minutes. I have developed a "Resistance" to OC from repeated exposure. I have been known to spray it into my own mouth just to get a rise out of people. Yeah, I'm a little off.

dnthmn2004 05-13-2008 08:36 PM

do you think my asthma and acute allergy to peppers will make it suck even more? has or can someone die from OC spray?

RL357Mag 05-13-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 (Post 23934)
do you think my asthma and acute allergy to peppers will make it suck even more? has or can someone die from OC spray?

If that doesn't trigger an asthma attack, nothing will!

robocop10mm 05-14-2008 03:31 PM

A full blown asthma attack is most frequently brought on by intense activity or anxiety. When the pain hits, it will cause anxiety. If you can relax and roll with the pain, knowing it is temporary, you will be fine. With over 500 direct exposures under my supervision I have never seen asthma to be an issue.
Allergy to pepper? I kind of doubt that. I have never heard of a legitimate allergy to pepper. IF you are truely allergic to pepper, you have chosen the wrong line of work. LE related training and work will expose you to pepper spray eventually.

dnthmn2004 05-14-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 23994)
Allergy to pepper? I kind of doubt that. I have never heard of a legitimate allergy to pepper. IF you are truely allergic to pepper, you have chosen the wrong line of work. LE related training and work will expose you to pepper spray eventually.

yup, allergic to chyanne peppers and others in that pepper family. also have tons of allergies to other foods. it sucks.