*** Nunchaku ***
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > *** Nunchaku ***

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default *** Nunchaku ***

I made these nunchaks 40 years ago!

My younger brother and I were in to martial arts during high school and we made nunchaks in wood shop (without being caught). We practiced for hours on hours, sometimes pounding our selves to death with bad moves. But before we graduated HS both of us were deadly fast, deadly accurate, and efficient with nunchaku use. My brother went on to train at the FBI Academy in martial arts. I moved on to other things... However, I kept one pair (in the photo) all these years. While I can still use them, I am no where near as fast nor do I have the stamina I once had.

They are great exercise, and fun to work.

In my younger years (20 something) I did happen into a situation that required my using my nunchaks on multiple attackers (2 rednecks in a bar parking lot). I popped one of them in the forehead and he dropped like rock, the other ran away. I was scared to death that I had killed the guy. I picked him up and he was semi-conscience at first. Once he came to, he was disoriented and totally confused. I found out where he lived and I took him home. I was so glad I didn't kill the guy! I never told him I was the one that took him out.

Nunchaku's were illegal then and as they are now. I never carried nunchaks again. The nunchaku's in the photo are the one's I used... his blood is still there to this day. And he probably still has a headache.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #2

those are very nice! how did you make them?

Old 08-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3094 Times on 1616 Posts
Likes Given: 302

I was self taught in Nunchaku in my College days. Today one of a handful of officers still certified on the OPN (Orcutt Police Nunchacu). Very handy tool that still raises eyebrows in public. Folks are getting used to seeing TASERS on gun belts, but they always want to know what THAT is. "Oh that's nunchakus." "Do you know how to use them?" "Well, they would not let me carry them if I didn't."

Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #4

Boy that brings back memories , haven't though about "Chucks" in years they just don't play the old Bruce Lee flicks like they use to LOL !!

I bought my nephew a set of metal chucks 20+ years ago when he took classes in Karate and did weapons in tournaments . Little dummy had them confiscated by the cops in a traffic stop , they would twist lock together and become one sturdy stick .

Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #5

I remember whacking my head with my home made chucks when I was a kid. We used to watch Kung Fu theater on Saturday afternoons-- later we'd commence in beating the holy cow out of each other and our selves. I made my chucks out of a dowel and a dog chain. I remember my mom asking me where all the dog leashes went. lol

Those thing are so illegal here now-- worse than carrying a gun without a CCW.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 09-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
I remember whacking my head with my home made chucks when I was a kid. We used to watch Kung Fu theater on Saturday afternoons-- later we'd commence in beating the holy cow out of each other and our selves. I made my chucks out of a dowel and a dog chain. I remember my mom asking me where all the dog leashes went. lol

Those thing are so illegal here now-- worse than carrying a gun without a CCW.
I whacked myself when I was learning to use them... boy, they can do some damage. Today, these "chucks" are display as I don't have the stamina to whield them like I used to... I can still flip them around quite well though, and still do some "tricks" as well.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
those are very nice! how did you make them?
Squirrel,

I don't know how to answer that... If you do any kind of wood working at all, they are very easy to make... basically they are two tapered octagonal spindles joined with parachute cord. I don't know how else to describe them, other than they are made of solid Oak.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Ah, the furniture I destroyed with my first set....

Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 AM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Furniture, I still have knots on my head from 40 years ago!

Nice find BB!

People get the government they deserve.