Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Non-brass knuckles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Back on subject please gentlemen.

Matal knuckles are illegal in my state as well. Now here is a good way to get around that. Legally. Carry a roll of quarters and some soft, supple (think kid leather), gloves. Driving gloves work good for this purpose. The gloves will protect your knucles, and the roll of quarters will take the give out of your hand. The best part is that I have yet to find a city, state, or nation that has made legal tender illegal. Just some food for thought.
This is the smart solution, IMO. I have seen people who went a bit further and wrapped some duct tape around the roll, but i think that might get you hassled.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #32

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

In my youth I tried that roll of quarters thing...Didn't work too good.

I did finally discover that a piston wrist pin of just the right diameter worked too good. A 350 Chevy wrist pin worked for me but your hand might perfer a different diameter one than I used. Knocked my opponent into next sunday and hurt them pretty bad when I corretly connected. However, will not offer any protection to bare knuckels may and hurt a bit more than usual when bare fist fighting. May even increase the chance of breaking your finger knuckles, but it didn't happen to me and I don't really know how much you increase the danger of doing so to yourself.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #33

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I want to point out that although I'm also intrigued by brass knuckles, and other means of alternative blunt weapons...

If the police show up to the scene of a public brawl, and find someone wearing leather gloves and carrying any kind of a cylindrical metal object, I'm sure they can find a method for sticking you with higher charges...

While I love looking into means of offering the most effective beat down with less than certain lethal objects (I kept an axe handle in my car forever, and have actually used a pair of rubber "truck nutz" in a fight, and a stick), the best thing to do from a legal standpoint, in my opinion, is simply walk away from any fight you can.

If you can't walk away, I recommend going for the eyes and testicles. The object, from the most legally safe way that this non attorney person can think of, is not to give an epic beat down, but to defend against an attack in such a manner so that you are sure to walk away from. I recommend accomplishing this by fighting to win. Give the most painful damage that you can in the least amount of time.

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
- General George Patton Jr

This concept does apply to metallic knuckles, quarter rolls, and other stuff, but it may be best to stick to a knife or firearm as a last resort. My thought process tells me that if someone takes the time to don a pair of gloves and fish their quarter roll out of a pocket, or put on some knuckles, sap gloves, or any other apparatus other than a ready weapon as an absolute last resort, such as the aforementioned knife or firearm, I would think that person would be way more likely to be convicted of a crime.

My reasoning tells me that in a public brawl situation, putting on such things would show a clear intent to continue a fight instead of defending and disengaging, which I think could be used to convince a jury that the person in question (wearing such things as I mentioned), was not fully and properly in fear for their life, which is a very key argument in many cases of physical altercations.

YMMV, and my "legal" advice is worth exactly what you just paid for it.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #34
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I want to point out that although I'm also intrigued by brass knuckles, and other means of alternative blunt weapons...

If the police show up to the scene of a public brawl, and find someone wearing leather gloves and carrying any kind of a cylindrical metal object, I'm sure they can find a method for sticking you with higher charges...

While I love looking into means of offering the most effective beat down with less than certain lethal objects (I kept an axe handle in my car forever, and have actually used a pair of rubber "truck nutz" in a fight, and a stick), the best thing to do from a legal standpoint, in my opinion, is simply walk away from any fight you can.

If you can't walk away, I recommend going for the eyes and testicles. The object, from the most legally safe way that this non attorney person can think of, is not to give an epic beat down, but to defend against an attack in such a manner so that you are sure to walk away from. I recommend accomplishing this by fighting to win. Give the most painful damage that you can in the least amount of time.

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

This concept does apply to metallic knuckles, quarter rolls, and other stuff, but it may be best to stick to a knife or firearm as a last resort. My thought process tells me that if someone takes the time to don a pair of gloves and fish their quarter roll out of a pocket, or put on some knuckles, sap gloves, or any other apparatus other than a ready weapon as an absolute last resort, such as the aforementioned knife or firearm, I would think that person would be way more likely to be convicted of a crime.

My reasoning tells me that in a public brawl situation, putting on such things would show a clear intent to continue a fight instead of defending and disengaging, which I think could be used to convince a jury that the person in question (wearing such things as I mentioned), was not fully and properly in fear for their life, which is a very key argument in many cases of physical altercations.

I remember what my dad told me when I was 7, and we moved to his new duty station. "Walk away from the fight if you can, If you can't, hit fast, hit hard, and get the he!! out of there. Make sure that the other guy will never go after you again, make sure he is hurt worse than you are."

My reponse to the OP was pretty much in jest. I am still the first one to advocate walking away if you can. If you can't, Make it fast and make it final. Either way, situational awarness is key no matter what your choice.

Trip, I've got to ask. Did you remember to tea bag the SOB with the "truck nutz" after beat him with them? That is a funny mental Image! LMAO!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #35

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

"I recommend going for the eyes and testicles."

Knees and shins work pretty good as well. Also, a upward elbow thrust into chin or nose, when opponent stays in too close for you to get a good shot, has worked for me when I used to get into that kind of stuff. Careful with the elbow though, it's pretty solid bone and is much like a solid club.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
...and have actually used a pair of rubber "truck nutz" in a fight...
LOL! You might be a redneck if...

I just recalled a recent knife purchase; it was a outdoorsy knife that hung from a neck strap. It had an odd "sheath" that resembled plastic knuckle protection more than anything. http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0028FL9F0/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0&isremote=0

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 11-26-2012 at 05:59 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #37

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

While I agree with most everything you said there I have reservations about a shot to the testicles. Anywhere else but there. But then again, I have yet to be in a fight.

-Matt

Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #38

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns

While I agree with most everything you said there I have reservations about a shot to the testicles. Anywhere else but there. But then again, I have yet to be in a fight.
Better get rid of those reservations.I would kick/hit an attacker in a fight I did not consent to in his jewels the first chance I got,as soon as I could.

One time things got pretty heated between me and a good friend of mine who fights amatuer MMA and I knew I had no chance of winning a fair fight between the two of us,even though I'm significantly larger and stronger. So when things turned into a scuffle he took me to the ground where he had the advantage,I bridged and rolled him off of me and then immediately grabbed and authoritatively squeezed the S*** out of his manhood before he could get off all fours. I didn't let go until he apologized and we came to a truce agreement,it didnt take long.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #39

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong

Better get rid of those reservations.I would kick/hit an attacker in a fight I did not consent to in his jewels the first chance I got,as soon as I could.

One time things got pretty heated between me and a good friend of mine who fights amatuer MMA and I knew I had no chance of winning a fair fight between the two of us,even though I'm significantly larger and stronger. So when things turned into a scuffle he took me to the ground where he had the advantage,I bridged and rolled him off of me and then immediately grabbed and authoritatively squeezed the S*** out of his manhood before he could get off all fours. I didn't let go until he apologized and we came to a truce agreement,it didnt take long.
I guess it depends on the fight. If its a fight for self defense, then I'll most certainly go for the testes.

If its an adversarial fight, Im still on the fence. If It starts to get outta hand then yes. It would be like a last resort.

If its a more of a disagreement between friends (not an amatuer MMA friend) that will be resolved post-fight, I would not go for the testes.

-Matt

Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #40

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I will go for the testicles at the very first opportunity I get. Sometimes the opportunity is never presented. But if it is, I just got a new coin pouch.

forumrunner_20121126_193137.jpg