Newb in the knife world, steel ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Newb in the knife world, steel ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newb in the knife world, steel ?

I guess this is the case for everyone, but I want to purchase a knife of great quality without spending a lot of money. I have looked at knives for awhile and cant really figure out what kind of steel is best. I want a knife that takes a great edge and holds onto it. I know I know the holy grail right? Anyway, I have looked at 154 cm and vg 10. I dont know a whole lot about the steels and have tried to research alittle. Can anyone give me some basics and principles. I understand that some steels take a great edge but dont hold onto it. Some steels are harder and keep an edge but are harder to get razor sharp. I am looking at spending around 100 or maybe a shade more. Thanks so much.
Matt

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #2

Liked 138 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well I think 1095 is hard to beat. It is easy to sharpen and holds a great edge. Exotic steels have their goods and bads. S30v is kind of hard to sharpen. 154cm I think is brittle judging by the tips I've repaired on Benchmade knives. Look for something made in America. Not just assembled here. W-1 any of the 10-- family, A-2 it's all good stuff.

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 11-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Really, if you just want a hard working knife a Cold Steel or a Kershaw are hard to beat. My $15 Cold steel knife skinned 4 deer without a touch up. I killed one yesterday and my neighbors crew killed three today. I have a nice hoist so they brought the deer here. I use a Canadian belt knife.

If you want a display knife well no, neither knife will do.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #4

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

May I recommend researching ceramic knives? I have three and they are AWESOME!!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainskytop View Post
May I recommend researching ceramic knives? I have three and they are AWESOME!!

ceramic knives are very brittle. You can't resharpen them yourself. They chip easily and if you drop them, they break. For kitchen use on a wood chopping block ceramic would be fine.

Dan308
www.dtknives.com

Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Modern stainless steels make some pretty good knives pretty cheap. Some steels are tougher and harder to break than others. Harder steels usually take a better edge but may chip. Some of the more exotic blades like Damascus or Japanese folded blades were actually an attempt to overcome some of the imperfections of the steel. One of the magic traits of the best steel is microscopic uniformity. That's hard to attain. You cant stir molten steel with a spoon! The Swiss seem to have the best system right now using powder metallurgy. Differential tempering or composite layered blades can give blades that are tough and hold an edge. Plain old carbon steel is pretty simple structure and takes a pretty good edge, but requires frequent sharpening and it rusts.....doc

Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

There really are a lot of good steels out there in the price range you are saying you are comfortable with. I have been impressed with the Kershaw Skyline I purchased. I did not connect with the knife originally but I am so glad I bought it. Lightweight and with a relatively large blade for its weight (and vice versa) it is an easy knife to carry with me all the time. It is slim without giving up much in any way that matters. Most of all the Sandvik 14c28n steel it is made with has held an outstanding edge. I have also challenged a Cold Steel Voyager large tanto model in a camping trip. I swam with it tucked in my trunks. I battoned it through a number of small and medium branches to make manageable firewood. I cut rope and even light weight wire with it and the edge is still sharp. I can't shave with it anymore but without a touchup, the edge was still very adequate. I am stunned at the performance it provided, especially at the price point I scored it for. I too find 154cm to be a durable steel but I have a hard time putting an edge back on it, especially if the original grinds are steep.. I admit I don't own any really high end knives but haven't felt the need to pony up the dough with so many more cost effective high performers out there...

Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 AM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

mlls, listen to Dan (Thornburg) http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/blade-i-made-today-75354/#post995877

http://www.dtknives.com/

My caper is scarry sharp and I intend to use it to butcher deer/hog.

I just got this blade and could not be happier! This is a quality, hand made knife and sheath.

Every penny I put into this purchase is worth the buy.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #9

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
mlls, listen to Dan (Thornburg) http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/blade-i-made-today-75354/#post995877

http://www.dtknives.com/

My caper is scarry sharp and I intend to use it to butcher deer/hog.

I just got this blade and could not be happier! This is a quality, hand made knife and sheath.

Every penny I put into this purchase is worth the buy.
I checked out the website that you provided and I have to say I'm very impressed with his craftsmanship . :-D

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 11-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #10

Thanks canebrake, glad someone will have as much fun using the knife as I had making it. That little thing had one hell of an edge on it. Wait till you get the #45 it's even better!

Dan308
www.dtknives.com