Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > new knife.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new knife.

I was looking for. Good knife bit I don't know weather to get a stacked leather usmc Kay-bar or a sog seal pup knife witch one would be better??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_monster View Post
I was looking for. Good knife bit I don't know weather to get a stacked leather usmc Kay-bar or a sog seal pup knife witch one would be better??
I have the Pup and it's the one I would choose. The K-Bar is bigger and a bit heavier than the Pup which is easier to conceal. Also I find the steel on the SOG Knives to stay sharp and hold their edge well.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #3

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I have the exact k-bar your talking about. It's my most trusted knife, if I had to pick just one to live with for the rest if my life, it's the one I'd pick.

Mine is sharp, and it stays sharp. I'm not big on how well a knife stays sharp, as I do my own sharpening and am good at it. As long as it doesn't go dull while I thumb it, I'm happy. That said, I've only sharpened mine once. I had one years ago and sold it. I discovered about 6 months ago that my neighbor coincidentally had one, so I traded my cold steel kukri for it, and sharpened it as soon as I got it, and it hasn't been touched up at all since then.

I use it. I've chopped brush with it, I've cut hoses, wires, and all kind if random junk with it. I've chipped weld beads off of sloppy welds with it, nary a knick to be seen on the edge.

I have no experience with SOG, but they get good reviews.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the classic USMC Ka-bar that I carried while on active duty. It is a good knife and is tough as nails...tougher actually. I also have a Cold Steel SRK, I actually like it more than my Ka-bar. Talk about a tough knife with a good thick blade and a grip that doesn't get slick when wet. I've used that knife for everything from cutting brush and small limbs to build fires; cleaning deer, fish, and other game, cutting rope, and even opening up cans while camping...I don't think there's anything that I can't use this knife for.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 12-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-03
I have the classic USMC Ka-bar that I carried while on active duty. It is a good knife and is tough as nails...tougher actually. I also have a Cold Steel SRK, I actually like it more than my Ka-bar. Talk about a tough knife with a good thick blade and a grip that doesn't get slick when wet. I've used that knife for everything from cutting brush and small limbs to build fires; cleaning deer, fish, and other game, cutting rope, and even opening up cans while camping...I don't think there's anything that I can't use this knife for.
Wow that sounds like a good knife. Where did you get the Cold Steel SRK?

Old 12-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I bought mine new from a store on Ebay. There are several online stores that carry them. I know Bass Pro has it but you can probably find it a little cheaper somewhere else.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 12-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #7

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts

I have a usmc issue ka bar, a big brother ka-bar, a heavey bowie ka-bar, sog seal pup and seal pup elite fine edge. Id take my ka-bars over my sogs anyday. I have shattered the handle on a seal pup before so they arent high on my list.....that said i love the steel in the blades. I get the time im putting grey laminate grips made from a brokin rifle stock on my seal pup with the brokin grip

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-27-2011, 05:47 AM   #8

A heavy bowie ka-bay?? I yacht heard of that one. I know of the big brother ka-bar and several military designs of the ka-bar. But not the heavy bowie. How does the heavy bowie ka-bar perform??

Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #9

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_monster
A heavy bowie ka-bay?? I yacht heard of that one. I know of the big brother ka-bar and several military designs of the ka-bar. But not the heavy bowie. How does the heavy bowie ka-bar perform??
Awesomely. Heres a video for them.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-29-2011, 04:18 AM   #10

Likes Given: 7

Default MSMC Kabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-03 View Post
I bought mine new from a store on Ebay. There are several online stores that carry them. I know Bass Pro has it but you can probably find it a little cheaper somewhere else.
Just found one and ordered it on Amazon for $47.00, free shipping.

-Bob