Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   new knife. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/new-knife-53618/)

1911_monster 12-15-2011 02:57 AM

new knife.
 
I was looking for. Good knife bit I don't know weather to get a stacked leather usmc Kay-bar or a sog seal pup knife witch one would be better??

SK2344 12-15-2011 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911_monster (Post 652330)
I was looking for. Good knife bit I don't know weather to get a stacked leather usmc Kay-bar or a sog seal pup knife witch one would be better??

I have the Pup and it's the one I would choose. The K-Bar is bigger and a bit heavier than the Pup which is easier to conceal. Also I find the steel on the SOG Knives to stay sharp and hold their edge well.:cool:

trip286 12-15-2011 05:31 AM

I have the exact k-bar your talking about. It's my most trusted knife, if I had to pick just one to live with for the rest if my life, it's the one I'd pick.

Mine is sharp, and it stays sharp. I'm not big on how well a knife stays sharp, as I do my own sharpening and am good at it. As long as it doesn't go dull while I thumb it, I'm happy. That said, I've only sharpened mine once. I had one years ago and sold it. I discovered about 6 months ago that my neighbor coincidentally had one, so I traded my cold steel kukri for it, and sharpened it as soon as I got it, and it hasn't been touched up at all since then.

I use it. I've chopped brush with it, I've cut hoses, wires, and all kind if random junk with it. I've chipped weld beads off of sloppy welds with it, nary a knick to be seen on the edge.

I have no experience with SOG, but they get good reviews.

USMC-03 12-25-2011 05:57 AM

I have the classic USMC Ka-bar that I carried while on active duty. It is a good knife and is tough as nails...tougher actually. I also have a Cold Steel SRK, I actually like it more than my Ka-bar. Talk about a tough knife with a good thick blade and a grip that doesn't get slick when wet. I've used that knife for everything from cutting brush and small limbs to build fires; cleaning deer, fish, and other game, cutting rope, and even opening up cans while camping...I don't think there's anything that I can't use this knife for.

1911_monster 12-27-2011 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC-03
I have the classic USMC Ka-bar that I carried while on active duty. It is a good knife and is tough as nails...tougher actually. I also have a Cold Steel SRK, I actually like it more than my Ka-bar. Talk about a tough knife with a good thick blade and a grip that doesn't get slick when wet. I've used that knife for everything from cutting brush and small limbs to build fires; cleaning deer, fish, and other game, cutting rope, and even opening up cans while camping...I don't think there's anything that I can't use this knife for.

Wow that sounds like a good knife. Where did you get the Cold Steel SRK?

USMC-03 12-27-2011 04:02 AM

I bought mine new from a store on Ebay. There are several online stores that carry them. I know Bass Pro has it but you can probably find it a little cheaper somewhere else.

Marlinman 12-27-2011 04:58 AM

I have a usmc issue ka bar, a big brother ka-bar, a heavey bowie ka-bar, sog seal pup and seal pup elite fine edge. Id take my ka-bars over my sogs anyday. I have shattered the handle on a seal pup before so they arent high on my list.....that said i love the steel in the blades. I get the time im putting grey laminate grips made from a brokin rifle stock on my seal pup with the brokin grip

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

1911_monster 12-27-2011 05:47 AM

A heavy bowie ka-bay?? I yacht heard of that one. I know of the big brother ka-bar and several military designs of the ka-bar. But not the heavy bowie. How does the heavy bowie ka-bar perform??

Marlinman 12-27-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911_monster
A heavy bowie ka-bay?? I yacht heard of that one. I know of the big brother ka-bar and several military designs of the ka-bar. But not the heavy bowie. How does the heavy bowie ka-bar perform??

Awesomely. Heres a video for them.


God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

FlBob518 12-29-2011 04:18 AM

MSMC Kabar
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by USMC-03 (Post 660566)
I bought mine new from a store on Ebay. There are several online stores that carry them. I know Bass Pro has it but you can probably find it a little cheaper somewhere else.

Just found one and ordered it on Amazon for $47.00, free shipping.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:10 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.