You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

New EDC knife - H&K

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default New EDC knife - H&K

Today, I decided to get a new EDC knife.

My previous EDC knife was a Coast DX340.

It was and still is a good knife. I have been very impressed with it. I carried it for 3 years. It is strong, durable, blade does NOT move left-to-right, and it has never failed on me with the locking mechanism. Also I really enjoyed the double lock system on it, and it being all metal.

I will probably hand this down to one of my boys or put in my backpack as a backup.

Here is a picture of my old EDC Coast DX340:

http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/knives/manual-knives/coast-manual/coast-dx340-double-lock-large.jpg

The reason for upgrading was, that I use the knife daily and it didn't seem to hold a sharp edge without sharpening multiple times a week, I guess I should expect that with a blade made with 7cr17 Stainless Steel.

So, I have moved on to an H&K Unsub, A/O, G10 handle knife, made with 8cr13mov. This material is a much higher grade, with more carbon for better edge retention.

Here is a picture of what it is:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AJrc_adCuOE/maxresdefault.jpg

This knife is exclusively made for Big 5 Sporting Goods (which I am not a fan of, but was bored on my lunch hour).

Benchmade is the manufacture for the H&K brand knives. Before purchasing the knife, I called Benchmade and asked them what type of steel it was made with, and that is when I found out about it being made of 8cr13mov. Surprisingly it is not advertised on the box, or knife.

I am not saying that 8cr13mov is the best, because it's not, but it is leaps and bounds over many other types of steel used for blades out there.

This knife seems to be solid. The blade does NOT move left-to-right. The locking mechanism does not fail when pushing down on the blade with force, and the handle is all metal. No plastic anywhere on the knife.

It also comes with a limited lifetime warranty which I will probably never use, even if I do have problems with it.

Anyways, just a little review on my old EDC and an "initial" review of the new EDC. I will probably do some follow ups here and there through out the ownership of it.

Last edited by silverbullet6oh; 07-22-2016 at 10:57 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2016, 03:54 AM   #2

Correction:

The only plastic on the new knife is a thin outer layer on each side of the outside part of the handle.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #3

Liked 302 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Benchmade makes good knives.
Be aware that the hole in the blade makes the blade VERY weak in that area.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #4

Thank you for that info. So far I'm loving this knife.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #5

Liked 103 Times on 80 Posts

It's a nice looking knife for sure. Designs elements more reminiscent of Spyderco rather than Benchmade but I like it! My guess is they don't advertise the blade steel to not draw attention to the imported nature of the knife. That is a Chinese steel typically so I would imagine they contract this model to a third party, possibly the folks who used to make their red line years ago. Some of the other knives in this line are domestic production and generally with D2 or other premium steels mimicking the higher end Benchmade products in fit, finish, and materials...
silverbullet6oh Likes This 
Old 08-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
It's a nice looking knife for sure. Designs elements more reminiscent of Spyderco rather than Benchmade but I like it! My guess is they don't advertise the blade steel to not draw attention to the imported nature of the knife. That is a Chinese steel typically so I would imagine they contract this model to a third party, possibly the folks who used to make their red line years ago. Some of the other knives in this line are domestic production and generally with D2 or other premium steels mimicking the higher end Benchmade products in fit, finish, and materials...

You are correct with the fact that this knife is made in China. I called Benchmade on Monday and that's what they told me.

I am so happy with the Benchmade customer service. It is great. The two times I have called them, they have taken the time to listen to my questions, and get the answers for me. They seem to genuinely care for their customers. Whether you buy a cheap knife or expensive one.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:14 AM   #7

Liked 103 Times on 80 Posts

They're a solid company to be sure. I haven't found a Benchmade yet that I felt was lacking in quality but to be honest i also haven't found one that I want to carry all the time. I just can't place my finger on why they don't connect with me, not even the three I've owned so far...

Old 09-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
They're a solid company to be sure. I haven't found a Benchmade yet that I felt was lacking in quality but to be honest i also haven't found one that I want to carry all the time. I just can't place my finger on why they don't connect with me, not even the three I've owned so far...
Although the quality of the Benchmade products is top notch, your right IMO, that there are ones that I would be choosy on using for EDC. Some of their designs are a little whacky.