New Compound Bow - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > New Compound Bow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Martins are great bows, I have a Cougar. Normally if I remember correctly, the weight of the arrow is measured at 5 grams of arrow weight for every pound you are pulling back on the bow. Hunting arrows are normally a lot heavier. I just did the tournament target shoots, so my arrows were like pencils.

I hope when you buoght your bow it was measured for your draw length and how much poundage you could pull back without hurting yourself.

Only other advice is practice, practice, practice and then practice some more.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd strongly advise you go to a bow pro shop. They'll help you get set up EXACTLY the way you need to be. Get your arrows made up by them and they'll be a perfect fit for you and your bow (spine and length). Also they'll help you tune your bow. That involves adjusting the rest for centershot and zeroing in the sights as well as setting up the bow itself for your draw weight & draw length.

Personally I shoot carbon arrows and can recommend them. The reason I like carbon arrows is they'll withstand a LOT more abuse than pure aluminum arrows. With carbon arrows you can get by with 100 gr points-make SURE that your practice points are the same weight as your broadheads. You're looking for at least 12% forward of center weight distribution.

Proper form is the single most important thing in bow shooting. Without good form you'll never achieve good accuracy. The pro shop can help you obtain good form. Perfect or near perfect form will enable you to shoot with great accuracy (1" or less group for every 10 yards).

After you have good form practice as much as you can. That DON'T mean shoot until you get shaky and tired. I'm talking about only 2-3 dozen shots (at most) a day for as many days as you can shoot per week (usually 2-3). Remember you're practicing form here. DON'T shoot too much or you'll start to adapt bad habits to compensate for being tired. Hope this helped.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Buy extra arrows.....you're going to lose some.
and break some too!

I've been shooting archery since I was about 10 years old. Recently I bought a fletching jig. Over the years I have spent so much moolah on having other people fletch arrows for me. If you are going to be shooting a lot, I would reccomed that you pick one up. It will save you a bunch over the years.

I think the Martin is a good choice, I have one, and I really enjoy it!

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #14

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Great stuff. Thanks for the info guys/gals. Soaking it up like a sponge.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Bunny, you are a woman of many parts.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #16

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Took it down to my local Sportsman's Warehouse and had them help me dial it in. They installed a peep, "D" loop and stabilizer. Then measured my draw and cut arrows for me. The two that came with the package were actually the right length for me so we went to the archery lane they have and fine tuned the sight. I also bought a release and a target. It is a hell of a lot of fun and am looking forward to hunting with my friend. I still need to get a bow case, string wax and broadheads.

When I went over to my friends house the other night, I mentioned that my son would like to go with us when we go hunting. He said that wouldn't be a problem and pulled out a Browning compound bow that was his old one and gave it to my son. Too cool. I offered to pay for it but he wanted my son to have it. It has some older parts on it and needs a few things, so I will be headed back to the store soon to hook up my son's bow.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:02 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Way too cool, he is a very good friend.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....