Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > New blade...me likey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default New blade...me likey

Got a new knife a while back, from its performance so far I can highly recommend it.

It is a RAT RC-5 SERE. Couple of observations from a my position, take it or leave it. I dont know the difference between the number xx40 steel and the xx40.5 steel, a hollow edge from a lawn edger, a ...well you get the picture. But I do know what does and doesnt work. It is a sharpened lawn mower blade, so no issues with tip failure or ability to do heavy work/ chopping. It is actually a bit too heavy for a 5in blade to carry on a first line. But it is worth it as a back-up or a second heavier knife in a BOB if you carry a folder. Im going to go with the RC-4 in kydex as my first line based on the RC-5 experience. I dont think you could go wrong with any true RAT cutlery (not the Ontario name buy). JD might even like 'em (BTW thanks for talking me outta the Strider many months ago brother). Price is pretty good too, under 100 for the RC-4. Update those Christmas wish lists guys.

Last edited by hillbilly68; 11-28-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-28-2009, 04:13 AM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Knives

If you going to make your own knives I would suggest you get one of Smokey Mountain Knife Works catalogs. They have lots of knife designs that you may want to copy. They also have tools to use in making knives. And there is another company that sells all the parts and tools you need to make a knife including blanks for grips. I believe their name is Jarvis. If you are interested I will look it up for you. I have one of their catalogs around the shop somewhere.
One more tip, the old solid hard rubber bowling balls that are no longer allowed in the bowling alleys make great knife handles and I have even used them to make pistol grips. You can find them at garage sales and pick them up for a dollar or two. Lots of colors and the all black ones have a lot of usable material in them. You can slab them and make some 1911 grips that look like ebony.
Neat.
Sarge

Old 11-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here's a link for those who don't know the knife: RAT Cutlery Co.

Congratulations on a great purchase. I've been using RAT knives for a while and love them. My favourite is the RAT 3 in D2, small and light enough to be carried constantly yet big enough to tackle 99% of the knife chores I'm faced with. And it's not one of those sharpened pry bars that so many companies are producing now.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 11-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That is a good knife there hillbilly. I like the RAT stuff. Good steel and not real expensive. An excellent choice.

And best of all, it's not a Strider.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Love me some RATs as well.