Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   need simple, quick, effective knife sharpener for stainless (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/need-simple-quick-effective-knife-sharpener-stainless-73475/)

talbertjm 10-01-2012 03:31 AM

need simple, quick, effective knife sharpener for stainless

hello, i just bought a leatherneck knife from cold steel, 4116 stainless german steel. i would like to purchase a sharpener i can use out in the woods, at home, or wherever. i would like something i can put an edge on if need be. i don't want it to be super razor sharp, just want it to work, and hold an edge long enough to be effective. also, any info on the Norton's Crystolon knife sharpeners would be great. cold steel recommends this brand of stone.

thank you

c3shooter 10-01-2012 03:56 AM

There are all sorts of sharpeners. You said quick, effective, cheap?

Go to the kitchen, find that CHINA coffee mug no one uses, flip it upside. When they glaze them, there is a ring of unglazed china where the mug was sitting on the floor of the kiln. Use that as a sharpener stone. When it gets loaded with steel (china turns gray) scrub it with a scotch bright scouring pad, and keep going.

Will do until you find a sharpener you like.

talbertjm 10-01-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 959961)
There are all sorts of sharpeners. You said quick, effective, cheap?

Go to the kitchen, find that CHINA coffee mug no one uses, flip it upside. When they glaze them, there is a ring of unglazed china where the mug was sitting on the floor of the kiln. Use that as a sharpener stone. When it gets loaded with steel (china turns gray) scrub it with a scotch bright scouring pad, and keep going.

Will do until you find a sharpener you like.

no no no, didnt say anything about cheap buddy. i want something i can carry in a pack, something that will work, and that is effective. i dont mind taking fifteen to thirty minutes to sharpen. just want to grab and use when needed. no cheapies please. i did read somewhere about the china mug. cant carry a china mug out in the woods, it would break...

trip286 10-01-2012 04:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Love my stone. One of the best I've had, and I've had many. It WILL get a razor shaving sharp. I bought a 20k grit water stone to polish my razors' edges, but I used this for quite a while before I got the other stone.

Attachment 61555

Attachment 61556

Attachment 61557

FWIW, I have an absolute loathing hatred for diamond sharpeners, and those little dingaling quickie sharpeners, like this one.

Attachment 61558

A stone is the ONLY way to go. A set bevel angle doesn't work best on all steels. It's not a one size fits all kind of thing. My old Buck takes a real shallow bevel for best results, my KA-BAR took something like a medium, and my one cold steel (spike, very thick and narrow) uses an extremely steep bevel. My uncle Henry trapper is honed almost flat on the blade side. My straights take something quite a bit different, different technique and a lot of finesse. Allowing a good sized speck of dust to hit the water stone during honing can set me back almost an hour in my straights.

Diamond sharpeners are too aggressive. Removing too much metal too quickly, and usually leave the edge unfinished, which allows it to dull way too quickly.

Old_Crow 10-01-2012 04:19 AM

A large ceramic rod is the best for putting a fine edge on a knife. A two sided whetstone is best for cutting the desired edge on a kinife. Once your knife is good and sharp you can get a plastic box with 2 small ceramic rods in it for $2 at walmart for your backpack. Unless you are skinning a moose in the field your knife shouldn't need sharpening. I usually skin 3 deer before my knife needs attention. I use cheap 440 stainless knives.

talbertjm 10-01-2012 04:26 AM

thanks for pointing me in the right direction. i'll take a look around and see what i can do. thanks again

Scratchammo 10-03-2012 05:00 AM

I've heard great things about the Block sharpener. It looks like a normal "V" sharpener but can also sharpen serrated blades.

Marlinman 10-06-2012 04:48 AM

Lansky is what I use alot.....but then again I have better luck w a Japanese lava stone and a steel than it for a truelly wicked edge