Need a good folding knife - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Need a good folding knife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Tanto blades (actually, americanized tantos is what most companies offer) are good for stabbing, you get a strong point and good penetration, and for snap cuts; but they wouldn't be my choice for utility tasks. I just think that almost any of the other blade shapes will outperform a tanto for most EDC tasks.

However, there's something I've learned in my years of selling, collecting and using knives: if you like a blade enough you'll make it work. So if tantos really appeal to you, get one and use the hell out of it.
Very cool, thanks. How about plain vs. combo blade?

I'm leaning strongly towards the Griptilian or the Twitch, partly because they both have blades definitively under 3" and won't get me busted.
Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 02-21-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #22

Liked 14 Times on 3 Posts

A few months ago i was looking for a good all around folder. and i came across this. BUCK
a buck alpha dorado
it has been riding in my pocket ever since.
i got mine for about 60 from a small store.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
Very cool, thanks. How about plain vs. combo blade?

I'm leaning strongly towards the Griptilian or the Twitch, partly because they both have blades definitively under 3" and won't get me busted.
Plain vs. combo or serrated is a never ending discussion on most knife forums and it has a lot to do with personal preference and your EDC needs. Generally speaking, a plain edge is more versatile. It's much easier to sharpen and makes neater cuts. Serrated edges tend to rip through things (which I don't like), but they do keep working even when they are a bit dull. Serrations also work a bit better on thick rope or webbing (and they also work well on zip ties!).

99% of the time, I'll choose a plain edge for my EDC blade. Although I do carry a multitool with a serrated blade as a back-up and sometimes use a little Kershaw Vapour with very agressive serrations.

If you're not sure, I'd recommend a plain edge. It'll do anything serrated edges do (sometimes not as well) and it will be easier to sharpen. Plus you can play around with the edge finish and make it more polished or "toothier" (which actually means you'll have micro-serrations) depending on your needs.

Between the Twich and Griptilian, I'd go with the Griptilian. It has much better steel (154CM will outperform AUS8) and I prefer the handle design and AXIS lock. The Twich does have some great features, it's really light and slim, the carry clip is well designed and very discreet. The assisted opening is something that doesn't really matter to me, it offers no real advantages to me.

I do think both are good EDC knives and you'll be happy with either one of them.
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #24

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^^^^^

And that is why Francisco is our resident Blade Expert. The guy flat knows what he is talking about and every post on the subject has not only real world knowledge, but a personal recommendation.

Thanks for the advice Francisco, once again a great contribution....

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 02-21-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I didn't even consider the different steels, thanks. Gonna sleep on it and maybe try to handle one before I order it, but the Griptilian is looking good.
Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Thanks for the advice Francisco, once again a great contribution....

JD
You're too kind, mate. I just like being able to give back a bit to the forum, and I'm still a total newbie when it comes to firearms, so I try to do it in this subforum.

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't even consider the different steels, thanks. Gonna sleep on it and maybe try to handle one before I order it, but the Griptilian is looking good.
Handling them before you buy would be ideal. The handles are very different. About the steels, while 154CM is a premium high performance steel, AUS8 is not bad at all.

AUS8 has a decent carbon content (0.75) and the way the other components are combined by the maker (Aichi Foundry in Japan) make the grain structure very homogenous and even. To the user that means that it will get very sharp, probably as sharp as more high end steels, it just won't hold that edge as long as something like 154CM or S30V would.

In my experience with SOG AUS8, its very easy to sharpen and more than adecuate for an EDC folder.

Let us know what you pic!
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Only one thing to know about STEEL for a good knife. High Carbon German Steel from Solingen, Germany. Best in the world for knives.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #28

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you want a smaller knife, take a look at the Kershaw leek:

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #29

I'm a big fan of Benchmade and Spyderco.
This is my daily knife: Spyderco
I really like the shape and feel of it.
c125_l.jpg  

Calle

Old 03-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #30

When it comes to knives for multi-purpose usage, my advice is to carry two. Image you carry one folder for which is used daily for things like opening boxes, letters and other normal chores and you are diligent with keeping it sharp because you realize that one day you may need to use this tool to defend your life. That day comes but you have not sharpened the folder for several days, the knife comes out of your pocket and opens as you have practice. You make a cut to the assailants arm but it does not penetrate and he now returns the favor with a sewing machine attack. You now lay on the frozen sidewalk wondering what went wrong as your life ebbs out of you.

My suggestion is to carry a multipurpose knife in one pocket and your defensive folder in another one, which is only used for self-defense so if that day comes your folder will make contact and cut as expected.

If cost is an issue then there are several that I might suggest looking at for self-defense, Kershaw Junkyard dog that has a flipper style opener, which I would not use as an opener for self-defense, but instead inertia style that takes very little effort and when the body is under flight/flight or freeze it will open quickly. This folder take handle the majority of daily chores too if you decide to purchase one for defense and one for daily usage. If you do not mind blemishes you can pick one up for $35 including shipping on the Internet or new $54 Kershaw Knives: Kershaw Junkyard Dog II Knife, KE-1725. Next is the Benchmade Griptilian, which comes in various configurations plus one of the strongest locks on the market. The Griptilian has a trainer/drone version too which is great so you can train. There is always the Spyderco Endura, which is one-step down from the Griptilian mainly because I have found that the hand placement of the operator can cause the Endura to close in the heat of the moment. The Endura has a trainer version also.

Simply for self-defense where cost is not an issue, look at the Emerson full-size Commander which sports a wave feature. The wave is cool but do not use it as the Commander opens very fast with a conventional style opening. The Commander is great even in close mode as the handle fits average size hands with a protruding pummel that can be used for striking your opponent. Any self-defense folder needs to work well as an impact device since in real combat, the attack is on with no time to pull your folder out and open it. Many instructors teach methods to purchase and open your folder at 21 feet in a static environment where the training partner is not moving fast. The reality is the attack is at breathing distance and may throw off no signals that something is about to go South. Any ways the Commander has a trainer version for training your defensive tactics without concern for injury. The Commander cost around $170 and the trainer $100. If you like something a tad different look at Bram Frank’s LLC which comes in three sizes, baby size which is made mainly for woman who have limited space for carrying a full size when say in a dress. Regular size, which is about the same size as most folders. The magnum is like a regular size fix blade but a folder. With little training the LLC becomes a devastating tool.

The following page shows several of the LLC models Kevininstructor home page

At the bottom of this page Kevininstructor About Kevin page there is a demonstration of a non-sharp version of the tool.