Need a good folding knife - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Need a good folding knife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 04:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
Nope, not set on anything right now, I've just been hearing good things about Cold Steel.

Any other knives out there with a grip like that Spartan? Seems like it would be incredibly useful for any kind of piercing. There's literally no way your hand could slip onto the blade.

Also, how sturdy is the pivot/lock on the CS compared to other brands?
Mine locks up extremely tight. So much when I first got it, it almost took two thumbs to depress the lock for closing.
It got easier to depress after a short amount of use, but still takes a conscious effort to press the lock lever all the way down before the blade will close. I'd have to say it would be impossible to accidently unlock the blade while using.
There is zero play between the blade and handle when open, still feels like a fixed blade.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I adore the Civilian, got one of the first ones.

NOT for utility cutting, though. They tell you that in the instructions/warraty.

For rending bad guys, only.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, that Civilian is seriously mean-looking. But, I do need an all-arounder.

And God dammit, looks like I'm restricted to a blade of 3" or less. Bloody retards in the state leg., I can get a pistol the same day but can't carry a decent knife. Thanks much for the heads up, Benning. The Spartan looked so good, too.

EDIT: Also, it must be single-edged. So no spear-point knives.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 02-21-2010 at 04:22 AM.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:43 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

With the new restrictions in mind, a list of possibilities:

906 Details | Benchmade
905 Details | Benchmade
527 Details | Benchmade
557 Details | Benchmade
556 Details | Benchmade
AK-47 (mini)
American Lawman (mini)

And the Kershaw site sucks to search, so if anyone has a favorite that's under 3", let me know. CA357, I'm not sure about the MI laws on opeing-assists, so I've got the non-nitrous Stryker up there, as well.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The assisted Nitrous that I have is legal in CA, so I'd think/guess it would be okay in MI. But, who knows? Do your homework if you decide you want one.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #16

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

SOG Knives have some really good and sharp knives that would fit your needs and are very reliable. I have, probably, 5 or 6 of various models that I have used and carried for years off and on.

Their Arc-Lock is a very good and solid lock up that has never failed me.

I can recommend their:

Aegis (Black TiNi)

The SOG Flash I Knife, Partially Serrated Blade From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools

SOG Stingray 2.0 Carbon Fiber Handle Knife From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools

SOG Twitch II. SOG Twitch 2 Folding Knife From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools

My Favorite is the Vision Line Up. Love these pocket knives.

sog visionary I, sog visionary 1, sog visionary I knives, sog visionary 1 knives

SOG X Ray Vision Mini Knives. The X Ray Vision Mini From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools

I own several of the ones listed above, and the new ones I have played with and would recommend.

One good place to look for deals is:

1SKS Home

I have done a lot of business with them over the years and never had a bad experience.

Let us know what you decide and how you like your purchase.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Mr Bluesky, luckily there are loads of decent knives in the 3" blade length range. In fact, some companies offer a couple of models with blades just a hair under 3" to be on the safe side when it comes to legal limits.

Although there are no legal blade length limits where I live, a 3" blade is still my favourite for urban EDC. So here are a few I like and have worked well for me. Other than the info on materials, the rest is highly subjective and just my opinion as a user.

-Spyderco Delica 4. If I had to keep a single folding knife for everyday urban use, it would probably be one of my Delicas. Sure, they aren't going to win any beauty pageants, but the design just works.

There are several versions out there, in different colours and edges (plain, fully serrated or combo). You can also get one with an Emerson wave opening feature, and there are blunt trainers available (both with and without the wave opener). Most of them have a sabre grind that works well because of the blade thickness and very good FRN handles, but you can still find some of the discontinued flat ground model with foliage green G-10 handles. The G-10 model is heavier than the regular FRN models, but I like it a lot. There's a new variant coming out soon, a flat ground blade with FRN handles (a few different colours will be available) that should combine the best of both previous models.

I don't think a regular Delica 4 will let you down. You get a lot of knife for your money. The blade steel is excellent (VG-10), the handle is very comfortable and secure (it's got a nice texture), you can place the clip in four different positions and it only weighs 2.6oz!

Blade length is 2 7/8". Costs around $50.

Spyderco Delica 4, FRN Handle, Plain Edge

-Spyderco Caly3. I'm a huge Spyderco fan, they offer really great knives and even better customer service, so they get a lot of my business. Many people consider the Caly3 the 3" EDC production folder. For it's size, it's really heavy duty. Full steel construction with G-10 handle slabs and a fantastic full flat ground blade made out of VG-10.

It comes with a deep carry wire clip that makes it very discreet. The handle is really well thought out for utility tasks, but if you've got large hands and SD is part of your reason for carrying a knife, try to handle one before buying. I've got big hands and find the slightly larger handle on the Delica better for SD training.

There's a more upscale model with a laminated ZDP-189 blade and carbon fibre handle slabs, but I don't think the price difference is worth it. The regular model costs around $100 (and you can get it plain or serrated).

Spyderco Caly 3, G-10 Handle, Plain Edge

-Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. Another excellent light weight EDC knife. I've got a couple of full size models as well as some minis and they are great. You can choose from several different blade shapes, edge types, handle colours and steels. Pick the one you like the most. My favourites are the ones with a modified sheepfoot blade and plain edge in 154CM steel (I just prefer the opening hole to a thumbstud and find the blade design really practical).

The AXIS lock used on these knives is great, very smooth and secure. The handle is also really comfortable. It's thicker than the handle on the Delica, some people don't like that. I'm quite fond of it, the small extra pocket space is well worth the excellent ergonomics.

Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Black Noryl GTX Handle, Plain Edge

-Kershaw Leek. This is a great EDC knife! A very light and slim Ken Onion design with fantastic blade geometry and assisted opening (you can easily turn it into a manual only folder if you need to).

There are a lot of different models out there, my favourite is the one with G-10 handles and S30V blade. The ones with the metal handle are fine for utility use, but for emergency SD use the grippy G-10 is much better. Combine that with an excellent steel like S30V all for less than $80 and you've got a great EDC knife. Some of the other versions are cheaper, like the great 13C26/CPM-D2 composite blade Leek which I love to death (costs $50!).

Kershaw Ken Onion Leek, G-10 Handle, S30V Stone Washed Blade, Plain Edge

-Lonewolf Blackfoot. I ordered this one by mistake, I wish I made more mistakes like this one! I think it's a great value for the quality and materials you get. S30V blade, G-10 handle (there's a variation with ebony inlays). It's rather hefty for its size at almost 5oz, but you get a very strong knife built like a tank.

I don't know if it comes with a satin finished blade (I'm not a huge fan of coated blades). I'm really happy with mine, so much so that I ordered the Longhorn (its bigger brother). Price is around $80.

LoneWolf Blackfoot, G-10, Plain Edge

Those are just a few I think could work for you. I only included the knifeworks.com links for reference and because they've always given me great service.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, thanks for the responses, all. Just out of curiosity, is there any difference in function between the conventional and tanto blades? Or is it just for looks?

Old 02-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Tanto blades (actually, americanized tantos is what most companies offer) are good for stabbing, you get a strong point and good penetration, and for snap cuts; but they wouldn't be my choice for utility tasks. I just think that almost any of the other blade shapes will outperform a tanto for most EDC tasks.

However, there's something I've learned in my years of selling, collecting and using knives: if you like a blade enough you'll make it work. So if tantos really appeal to you, get one and use the hell out of it.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #20

I have several knives that I carry for different purposes. I have a small Boker (German High Carbon Steel) that fits in Dress pants. I like the larger Boker with (High Carbon Steel) for my Blue Jean Pockets. I like a 'Rancher' or 'Wrangler' 3 Blade Knife. It's fairly heavy. I have one for hunting and fishing a 2 Blade 'Trapper' model. You can skin a deer or anything else with it because I keep em' sharp! If I need a larger 'Lock Blade' Sharp knife, not often, but I have a Big Kershaw. (Stainless but very Sharp)

If you ever begin using the German High Carbon Steel Knives, it will be hard to use Stainless or ordinary Steel again. You can put an edge on the German Steel and it will hold it. Most of the older guys who really use our knives know this.