Need a good folding knife
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Need a good folding knife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need a good folding knife

For various reasons, I need a folding rather than fixed-blade knife. It needs to be an all-arounder, including being used for defense. I'm out of my element when it comes to knives, so I thought I'd ask you guys. Price is no object. Some that I'm looking at:

Ultimate Hunter
American Lawman
Recon I
AK-47

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2010, 03:21 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

It may look a little gimmicky, but I can recommend the Cold Steel Spartan as an awesome Large Folder.
Ive been using mine for a couple months now since I bought it after following the http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/dillinger-vs-benning-spartan-21199/
thread.
Its always on me and carries surprisingly well for such a large blade due to a very well placed pocket clip. The pocket opening hook is very handy for rapid one hand opening.
I abuse it at work daily on everything from cutting hemp rope, chopping through steel rebar tie wire, shaving brass from the connectors on welding leads, and just the other day had to cut through the heavy brass crush sleeves to salvage the ends of oxy-acetelyne torch hoses. No ill effects suffered.
It holds a great edge, has a very secure grip and it also chops very well.
Very nice piece of steel that wont break the bank at less than $60

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-21-2010, 03:26 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had discounted it because it looked gimmicky, yeah, but I can't really argue if it works. The unique grip and clip point do look useful in case I ever need it in a defense capacity. Thanks for the link.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I kind of like the Lawman and the Recon tanto of your choices. Are you set on Cold Steel?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-21-2010, 03:40 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I kind of like the Lawman and the Recon tanto of your choices. Are you set on Cold Steel?
Nope, I've just seen their virtues extolled repeatedly since I came around here. Like I said, I don't know much about knives, and the differences aren't as clear cut as they are with firearms. I'm open to any and all recommendations, and price is no object.

Been reading that thread GK, and I like what I see. Larger is, unless it's taken to extremes, better for this purpose, because it's got to be as good a substitute for a fixed blade as possible.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:50 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I have a Kershaw Blur Tanto, and carry it every day. Its light, strong, sharp enough to shave with, holds an edge, and the assisted opening is lightning fast.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:57 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I have a Kershaw Blur Tanto, and carry it every day. Its light, strong, sharp enough to shave with, holds an edge, and the assisted opening is lightning fast.
Nope, not set on anything right now, I've just been hearing good things about Cold Steel.

Any other knives out there with a grip like that Spartan? Seems like it would be incredibly useful for any kind of piercing. There's literally no way your hand could slip onto the blade.

Also, how sturdy is the pivot/lock on the CS compared to other brands?

Old 02-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I like Benchmade knives and a Nitrous Stryker is my edc. Take a look at the Benchmade site: Welcome | Benchmade

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-21-2010, 04:05 AM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You don't need to spend that much $$ for a good Large folder.

My favorite is the Ken Onion designed Kershaw Shallot

I got mine on ebay with some persistent bidding for $26 shipped. They typically go for $35+.

Now if you want a great PD knife you can't beat the Spiderco Civilian!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-21-2010, 04:07 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I still really reccomend the Spartan, but I'd familiarize with your state laws first. It's a huge beast, might not be legal in all areas.

The lock never failed, regardless of how much we put it through.

If you're creeping up on a gun show date, I'd wait and see if there were some there, handle a variety of knives, see what feels good to you.

Keep us posted.