Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Need advice on new folder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need advice on new folder

Well, as it says in the title...
I would appreciate some guidance on getting a nice new folder. My only guidelines are,
-under $40 ideally.
-Sharp(duh) but good sharp that will last. I don't have more than a stone to sharpen right now.
-Standard ~3"-3.5" blade(sharp edge or tip to hinge)
-Good grip area, I don't have large hands, they are just sort of thick.
-Black, just like the look and conceals better. I would be open to dark greys too.
-Main use would be counter attack/self defense but may cut rope and such in an emergency.
Here's 2 that caught my eye
http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-000372-Tanto-Knife-Serrated/dp/B002RIU3SW

http://www.southwestgerberknives.com/Pocket-Knives/Gerber-22-41586-Pocket-Knife-Tanto-Torch-II-G10-SE/flypage.tpl.html

I'm not partial to Gerber, i actually have no preference.
Thanks in advance for any help every one.

EDIT: Assisted open, for quick deployment.

Last edited by BioInclined; 01-25-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The Camillus Wildfire holds an edge well, isn't expensive, has spring-assist opening and comes in two sizes:

Small: http://www.amazon.com/Camillus-19042-Standard-Wildfire-Linerlock/dp/B001K2ALJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327519290&sr=8-1

Large: http://www.bladeops.com/Camillus-Large-Wildfire-Robo-Power-Assisted-Plain-p/cm19043.htm

Both make good EDC's.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

This is my EDC rotation...

image-411649940.jpg

Zero Tolerance 0302
CRKT M16-14D
KaBar Dozier
KaBar "mule"
CRKT M16-12M
KaBar "fin"
KaBar "warthog" (small tanto to the right)

Unless you just have your heart set on AO, you can get more for the money without it.

The KaBar mule is by far the best value...it's as stout as any knife I own for less than $40.

The warthog is basically just a pocket knife, but then I only paid $10 + s/h.

The ZT is the only A/O pictured, and by far the best overall quality folder that I own, but it was well over $200.

My CRKT's are pretty good, but they are $50-$80, depending on what model you get.

EVERY KaBar I have ever owned, no matter the price, came to me sharp enough to shave....which is why I own SEVERAL. I feel they are very hard to beat for the price .
Just my .02

Old 01-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My favorite EDC knife.
Note, after some experience and training on the subject, this is one guy who sees no desire for a tactical knife. I simply will not become involved in another knife fight again, ever. Even thinking about a REAL fight for your life knife fight is not for the faint of heart.

forumrunner_20120125_151750.jpg

I do, however, keep this in my truck...

Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #5

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Sorry, attachment failed.... My truck knife... Well crap, I managed to delete the picture somehow. Its a USMC ka-bar.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Sorry, attachment failed.... My truck knife... Well crap, I managed to delete the picture somehow. Its a USMC ka-bar.
I assume like this one...

image-651297139.jpg

Old 01-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #7

Liked 4672 Times on 2259 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

I really like my CRKT Ripple. Not cheap but you get what you pay for and if the real Ripple is above your price point they also sell a Wal Mart version for $30. you can google wal mart ripple for a run down on the differences.

Tack

Old 01-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #8

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

http://budk.com/Knives/Schrade-Jackmaster-Barlow-278-Folding-Knife

I've had this one for a while it serves me well hasn't broken yet... you get what you pay for...

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #9

Thanks for the input guys.
I do not plan to nor would want to engage in a knife fight, BUT, some areas by my house and by my school are not the best. I figured I'm better off being ready. Plus, I've been training in some hand to hand and knife type techniques so it has gotten me more interested.
I will be looking into those KA-BARs then, I already own this one
http://www.888knivesrus.com/product/KA1277/KA-BAR-1277-LARGE-HEAVY-BOWIE-BLACK-KRATON-HANDLE-LEATHER-CORDURA-SHEATH.html
I never would carry that though unless it was a SHTF world or i was camping/hunting like i plan to be this summer.
I have a "thumb open" now i guess you call it/unassisted which i don't mind. The only reason i would need A/O would be quick deployment and even then, I'm pretty quick with my thumb deploy.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioInclined
Thanks for the input guys.
I do not plan to nor would want to engage in a knife fight, BUT, some areas by my house and by my school are not the best. I figured I'm better off being ready. Plus, I've been training in some hand to hand and knife type techniques so it has gotten me more interested.
I will be looking into those KA-BARs then, I already own this one
http://www.888knivesrus.com/product/KA1277/KA-BAR-1277-LARGE-HEAVY-BOWIE-BLACK-KRATON-HANDLE-LEATHER-CORDURA-SHEATH.html
I never would carry that though unless it was a SHTF world or i was camping/hunting like i plan to be this summer.
I have a "thumb open" now i guess you call it/unassisted which i don't mind. The only reason i would need A/O would be quick deployment and even then, I'm pretty quick with my thumb deploy.
Unless you get an actual AUTOMATIC opener (think button-push), it may be easier to open, but it won't be faster. You must engage the blade itself with your finger before the "assisted" part takes over.

I do have several A/O's however...both types have their virtues.