For my Fellow Blade Heads...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > For my Fellow Blade Heads...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default For my Fellow Blade Heads...

So, I was at storage today digging out a flare gun for some pictures for one of our newest members across the pond at Oxford ( we are BIG TIME now boys ) and I came across this blade that I have had in storage for awhile. I forgot I had it to be honest.

This entire knife ( handle, blade, hardware, pocket clip, etc ) is 100% titanium from Mission Knives. It's not even legal in about 5 states that I know of, including Kalifornia and NY/NJ.

It features a half serrated tanto shaped blade, although the Amercian version of the Tanto, the Japanese version is swept and doesn't feature the angle...

Anyways, I thought you guys might like to see some pictures...

JD

flare-gun_knife-024.jpg   flare-gun_knife-026.jpg   flare-gun_knife-027.jpg   flare-gun_knife-034.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
This entire knife ( handle, blade, hardware, pocket clip, etc ) is 100% titanium from Mission Knives.JD
I've got one or two Missions, nice knives but not the high-end Prada super-platinum like yours!

I like to keep my knives <$100 due to the fact that they can grow legs and come up missing!

For a commercial production knife I don't think you can go wrong with a Kershaw.

These are my two day-carry knives;

The top knife is a Ken Onion designed Random Leek Model # K1660TGRYST and you can tell by the dings and scrapes it's the one I carry the most. The Random Leek has an overall open length of 7" and weighs 3.1 ounces. Made in the USA.

The bottom knife is the RJ Martin designed Tanto Groove Model # KE-1730TBLK. The Tanto Groove has an overall open length of 8" and weighs 4.2 ounces. Made in the USA.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
This entire knife ( handle, blade, hardware, pocket clip, etc ) is 100% titanium from Mission Knives.
Dill, how's titanium on holding an edge?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Dill, how's titanium on holding an edge?
You know bro, I will be honest with you. It's a bitch to get that hair shaving edge on there, but once it's there, it holds an edge pretty damn well.

I have ( 2 ) Mission Knives, one if my primary field knife and one is this folder I bought when I was in Kali to stick it to "the man"

I have a very good sharpening system by Benji Dale out of Oregon and even with the Edgepro, it took a bit to put a hair shaving edge on both weapons. Once I did though, it holds up VERY WELL.

I can DEFINITELY recommend a Titanium blade to anyone who is interested in the ultimate SHTF Field Knife...

JD

EDIT: I just saw your pictures and I LOVE the look of that bottom knife. That is sick looking....

Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

What the heck, I thought titanium wasn't supposed to be very wear-resistant, and that's why Taurus used steel barrel liners in their titanium revolvers.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

That's pretty damned nice, DILL. Ain't it fun finding things you long forgot about?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
What the heck, I thought titanium wasn't supposed to be very wear-resistant, and that's why Taurus used steel barrel liners in their titanium revolvers.
It's a very strong metal, but like anything else, if you apply enough heat and friction, you can wear it away. I had to start with some SERIOUS grit stones to break the edge, then the final hair shaving edge was done with a ceramic and it took about a days worth of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
That's pretty damned nice, DILL. Ain't it fun finding things you long forgot about?
It kind of was actually. I went to storage for one thing and found this old blade by accident and thought "I'm gonna post some pictures of it for the guys" - then I decided to carry it with me today, just like old times... LOL

Old 02-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Now see, I had always heard you couldn't use titanium for a blade, also. In fact, I was unaware a company had even tried, till now.

Beautiful knife. Do you recall roughly how much it set you back?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #9

I have this one as pictured and I paid, I think, $219 for it from onestopknifeshop plus shipping of course.

I also have this one for my gal to keep on her arm when we snorkle and paid about $170 for it from the same place.

And this baby is my ultimate field knife. I got a screaming deal on this the last day of SHOT in 2004. It only cost me $250 cash - and it was selling for about $350 at the time. Though the sheath doesn't match the knife handle color, I still love the damn thing. Took me an entire weekend with my Edge Pro system to put a razor edge on there, but it's a damn fine blade. I love it and would not carry any other knife in the water with me, or in the field.

I highly recommend Mission Knives. Their Ti process is patended, so no one else is doing Ti Knives like these right now, but they are fabulous knives and definitely worth the investment...

JD