Mil-Tac CE-2: Dillinger & Francisco Put It To The Test! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Mil-Tac CE-2: Dillinger & Francisco Put It To The Test!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks JD. I was getting really tired just abiding. It sounds excellent so far and seems like a quality knife.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.Samuel Adams

Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Testing Begins!!

So, Francisco's Knife is set to be delivered tomorrow, so I wanted to give him something to dream about tonight.

I rounded up some basic cutting victim material over the past few days and started with some of my known tests.

First up was the Hockey Puck. This, apparently has become my signature test. I got an e-mail from a guy from Knifeforums, I guess Francisco must be pimping us or something, and he wanted to know where I came up with the idea of the hockey puck, where I got them and if he could "steal" my idea... LOL

Anyways, the basic Hockey Puck is back. One overhand stabbing motion and this knife really cut deep. So far I have tried cutting through the puck with two other test knives, and a couple of my personal ones as a baseline.

This knife was the first to go all the way through the hockey puck and stick out the other side! Pretty impressive penetration. No damage was found on the knife blade or to the tip. Check this out.
mil-tac-knife-testing-001.jpg   mil-tac-knife-testing-007.jpg   mil-tac-knife-testing-006.jpg   mil-tac-knife-testing-010.jpg   mil-tac-knife-testing-014.jpg  

Last edited by Dillinger; 03-09-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #23

Next up was the manila hanging rope. I got some stuff from Home Depot. I am sure it's not uber top of the line, but it is fairly thick ( almost an inch ) and it's quite coarse. Free hanging it from an eye bolt in the ceiling, I took some slashes at it with the Mil Tac to gauge it's ability.

The rope was popping off there so fast, it was hitting the garage door and coming apart. The blade went through the manila rope very easily. I am tempted to get some more, double and triple it up to see if it will cut that as well.

Very good control on the slashing, the knife never bound or twisted in my grip as the rope whipped back on the bottom. The knife blade just kept the same motion all the way through and snapped it off like dry timber.
mil-tac-knife-testing-021.jpg   mil-tac-knife-testing-023.jpg   mil-tac-knife-testing-026.jpg   mil-tac-knife-testing-027.jpg  

Old 03-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #24

The final test I had for today was one that Benning made one of the best jokes ever about. Cardboard Tubes.

We have a plotter for engineering prints at work. Big D & E Sized prints. These tubes are about 3" in diameter and 36" long, end to end. They are made out of some very thick and dense cardboard. I'll show you what I mean in the pictures.

That is me, at around 250 pounds of weight fully clothed, standing on the tube and you can see, it's barely fazed. It isn't collapsing and it's barely going oblong.

Needless to say, this is some dense stuff. I stood one of the tubes on end, with a pedestal base that kind of held it there, and took kind of a stepping/running, sword style slash at the tube.

Never having done this before, I had no idea what to expect.

The first cut was deep. Not as deep as I had hoped, but the blade was solidly locked in there.

The second cut I really got after it and went about halfway and a little more through. I really laid into this thing and it literally took the tube and the support pedestal off the ground.

I am going to do the same test with a much larger knife, just for a comparison, because I have never done this before. I tried cutting the tubes with a razor/box knife and the cardboard is very hard to cut.

I think this cut, on anything round and fleshy, would have gone well into the bone without a doubt. See what you think...
mil-tac-knife-testing-029.jpg   mil-tac-knife-testing-017.jpg   mil-tac-knife-testing-018.jpg   mil-tac-knife-testing-019.jpg   mil-tac-knife-testing-020.jpg  

Old 03-09-2010, 11:55 PM   #25

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Ok. The puck is yours...so is your better than paracord secret tape.

I know I am not the only one who wants MORE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #26

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The final test I had for today was one that Benning made one of the best jokes ever about. Cardboard Tubes.

We have a plotter for engineering prints at work. Big D & E Sized prints. These tubes are about 3" in diameter and 36" long, end to end. They are made out of some very thick and dense cardboard. I'll show you what I mean in the pictures.

That is me, at around 250 pounds of weight fully clothed, standing on the tube and you can see, it's barely fazed. It isn't collapsing and it's barely going oblong.

Needless to say, this is some dense stuff. I stood one of the tubes on end, with a pedestal base that kind of held it there, and took kind of a stepping/running, sword style slash at the tube.

Never having done this before, I had no idea what to expect.

The first cut was deep. Not as deep as I had hoped, but the blade was solidly locked in there.

The second cut I really got after it and went about halfway and a little more through. I really laid into this thing and it literally took the tube and the support pedestal off the ground.

I am going to do the same test with a much larger knife, just for a comparison, because I have never done this before. I tried cutting the tubes with a razor/box knife and the cardboard is very hard to cut.

I think this cut, on anything round and fleshy, would have gone well into the bone without a doubt. See what you think...
I wanna know the tensile strength of the tubes. I am kidding. I know those tubes and they are solid enough to beat a guy down. You won't split a skull, but you can do some serious damage if used properly.

Truely impressive...so far. Francisco is up. *anxiously rubbing hands*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #27

Thanks Skull. So far I am really impressed. The knife performed really well and the edge shows no signs of wear or tear. I am looking forward to some stuff from Francisco as well.

As for the tubes: Originally I was going to put some plate weights on the tube, to show what it could hold. I put 100 pounds on there, and the damn thing was rolling back and forth without so much as a dimple.

I finally decided "screw it - I'll just step on it and see what it can hold". Well, it can hold all of me... LOL

I think I am going to turn one on it's side and try to puncture through both sides in one ice pick style overhead strike. That should be a good test as well.

More to follow, so stay tuned....

Old 03-10-2010, 02:00 AM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've been tracking my knife, it went through customs today and should be in my hands tomorrow! I can't wait.

I've got a cutting competition on the 21st, and I'm sure some of the guys there will give me a hand with some extra testing. It's a great gathering of knife knuts.

Something else I was planning to do, since this knife could be used as a weapon, is to take it to a couple of knife fighting instructors to get their opinions on it. Perhaps some suggestions on cutting/penetration tests with a more defensive applications in mind.
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 03-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #29

Liked 860 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

How is the edge retention? Could you keep us informed of that as the tests progress? Can't wait for Francisco to start the international portion of the testing

Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, that would definitely hit bone on any arm or chest strike. This one sliced the rope cleaner than I've seen in any of your other tests, too, JD.
Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM