Making my own knives looking for a new hobby - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Making my own knives looking for a new hobby

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 1,118
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

A good looking lot of Axis deer antlers. Easily worth a few times more than the current bid in some circles.

4 Sets of AXIS DEER SHEDS 6 Pts Ea Skull Antlers Crafts - eBay (item 150598105738 end time May-05-11 12:36:38 PDT)

Can easily be made to look like Indian Sambar stag if you know how.

__________________
Poink88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Cane,

He is the guy in San Antonio TX right? That must be a while back. eBay started banning all ivory products (including pre-ban and legal elephant and Mastodon/Mammoth ivory) for 2 years now IIRC.
One in the same.

Ivory is a little too steep for my pockets.

I go for the mammoth tooth/brain coral fossils.
kgrhqr-lye2ejy-y-bbnuel-koo-_3.jpg   kgrhqiokiie11iuniokbnub9fs-og-_3.jpg   kgrhqmokpge1q5-eftfbnpdwilf0w-_3.jpg  
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 1,118
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I've used casted/resin impregnated wood, cactus and even snake skin but not coral or mammoth tooth. Do you have any that are 5-10 years old? If so, how is the resin holding up? The older resins tend to "shrink" over time and I am still a bit hesitant using them. They sure look awesome though.

__________________
Poink88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I've used casted/resin impregnated wood, cactus and even snake skin but not coral or mammoth tooth. Do you have any that are 5-10 years old? If so, how is the resin holding up? The older resins tend to "shrink" over time and I am still a bit hesitant using them. They sure look awesome though.
These are NOT the composite scales, they're the real thing! 20,000 to 50,000 year old genuine mammoth tooth from Siberia.

I think they will look fine in 5-10 years.
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 1,118
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
These are NOT the composite scales, they're the real thing! 20,000 to 50,000 year old genuine mammoth tooth from Siberia.

I think they will look fine in 5-10 years.
I know these are not composite but aren't they resin impregnated? I thought they have holes/voids that are pressure filled with resin...thus the different colors and to make them more solid and stable to work with.
__________________
Poink88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,325
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

You can do a lot of work with a 1x42 belt sander and a dremel tool. A drill press is very handy, and a 9"x12" sheet of heavy glass is nice to contact cement a piece of sandpaper on to make things flat. A good, well fitting dust mask is a MUST. Don't go with the little paper jobs, get a good one. Many exotic hardwoods are toxic if you inhale the dust.

__________________
freefall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
I know these are not composite but aren't they resin impregnated? I thought they have holes/voids that are pressure filled with resin...thus the different colors and to make them more solid and stable to work with.
Yes they are and with the acrylics today will remain in-tact if given its required quota of love. (and lack of sunlight!)
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flint,Michigan
Posts: 346
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
One in the same.

Ivory is a little too steep for my pockets.

I go for the mammoth tooth/brain coral fossils.
if you would like to part with those ill put them to good use lmao very nice and very cool
__________________
FaTmAn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NitroxAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: molonlabeforum.com
Posts: 4,899
Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default

Lots of good sources posted and I sent you a PM.

__________________
NitroxAZ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Flint,Michigan
Posts: 346
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
A good looking lot of Axis deer antlers. Easily worth a few times more than the current bid in some circles.

4 Sets of AXIS DEER SHEDS 6 Pts Ea Skull Antlers Crafts - eBay (item 150598105738 end time May-05-11 12:36:38 PDT)

Can easily be made to look like Indian Sambar stag if you know how.
i have about 4 racks of sheds stashed away
__________________
FaTmAn is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Kydex holsters as a hobby Greebo Firearm Accessories & Gear 1 11-20-2010 06:05 PM
new to the hobby, have questions... SeanW General Rifle Discussion 11 10-02-2010 06:24 PM
Hobby gunsmithin... Highpower Gunsmithing Forum 2 11-17-2009 04:17 PM