Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Other Weapons (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Making my own knives looking for a new hobby (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f32/making-my-own-knives-looking-new-hobby-42090/)

FaTmAn 05-04-2011 10:53 AM

Making my own knives looking for a new hobby

I am looking for a new hobby. I have been thinking about building my own knives and don't know much on how to go about it. Anybody have a good idea on where to start? where i can order and get my equipment? What kind of equipment im going to need? Please feel free to add anything you can think of

Poink88 05-04-2011 11:27 AM

While there are people here who can help...I think you are in the wrong forum.

To start, you have to tell us how much you want to be in it. Do you plan on starting from blacksmithing? Or you will use blanks that are already shaped and just need handles. Do you want to grind your own blades? What handle materials do you intend to use? Fixed blade or folders?

Give us more but honestly, Google is your friend...and of course some books and proper forum. ;)

FaTmAn 05-04-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poink88 (Post 498237)
While there are people here who can help...I think you are in the wrong forum.

To start, you have to tell us how much you want to be in it. Do you plan on starting from blacksmithing? Or you will use blanks that are already shaped and just need handles. Do you want to grind your own blades? What handle materials do you intend to use? Fixed blade or folders?

Give us more but honestly, Google is your friend...and of course some books and proper forum. ;)

I've decided to go with blank's and add handles. Handle's will be a varitey of different material depending on knife. I plan on grinding and honing my own knifes. and i would like to do both fixed and folder blades. I have done some research libary and google just have to find a good place to start and get equipment.

canebrake 05-04-2011 01:30 PM

Some of my favorites.

This should be a good start:

Jantz Supply for all your Knife Making needs

Welcome to Premium Knife Supply, your online Knife Store

Knife Making Supplies - knifemaking blanks, instructions, basics, tutorials and kits.

Hawkins Knife making Supplies

KnifeKits.com Designer Knife Kits - Knife Making Supplies - Sheath and Holster Making Supplies

USA Knife Maker Supply, Operated by a knifenaker for knifemakers!

Thompson's Scandinavian Knife Supply, LLC

NorthCoast Knives Home

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php

FaTmAn 05-04-2011 01:32 PM

wow thanks cane

Poink88 05-04-2011 01:36 PM

Try these links too...

Knife Network : Workshop - Knife Making Tutorials

How to make Knives, Tutorials

Knifemaking Tutorials - Learn to make your own custom blade!

Custom Knife Directory - Custom Knives - Knifemaking - Tutorials

Knife Making | greenpete.co.uk

Poink88 05-04-2011 01:39 PM

If you plan on using antler, ivory, horns, micarta, exotic wood, etc. for handles...invest on a good dust collector and maybe a full face shield filter.

Take care of your lungs and be warned that the odor could be very repulsive too. ;)

canebrake 05-04-2011 02:00 PM

FM, when you're ready to go "trick", check this site;

Fine Turnage Productions

I've got scales from him on eBay also. If you have patients and eBay skills, you can get some great deals.

Fine Turnage Productions eBay

Poink88 05-04-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 498307)
FM, when you're ready to go "trick", check this site;

Fine Turnage Productions

I've got scales from him on eBay also. If you have patients and eBay skills, you can get some great deals.

Fine Turnage Productions eBay

Cane,

He is the guy in San Antonio TX right? That must be a while back. eBay started banning all ivory products (including pre-ban and legal elephant and Mastodon/Mammoth ivory) for 2 years now IIRC.

Poink88 05-04-2011 02:09 PM

Here's a few source I've used after the eBay ban...

Boone Trading Company - Mammoth Ivory
Boone Trading Company - Ivory Bracelets
Elephant Ivory Tusks Ivory Buyer, Seller & Supplier
Mammoth Ivory Tusk Sections