Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Making My Own Knife Part Two

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Making My Own Knife Part Two

Here is my attempt at heat treating and tempering. I used motor oil(used) for quenchant, and charcoal briquetes for fuel.
A metal oil pan for the furnace, and I picked up some 1/4" black iron pipe and fittings for the blower, oh I drilled hole along the length of the pipe.
I know the blade has uneven heat in it, I got impatient and didn't let the coals bank down long enough, and I had the air a little low.
When the blade came out of the quench, it was BLACK!! Well I sanded off all the black so I could put it in the oven to temper (I was at my brothers house, I read that if you quench in motor oil, it'll stink up the house when you put it in the oven). It came out of the oven a nice straw color, as recommended.
I will be finishing the knife next weekend, I ordered some spacer material and some mosaic pins (thanks Nitrox!), and I have decided to use some of the black locust I have for the scales.
As promised, when finished, I will take it out and give it a thorough test, I will post the results.

001.jpg   003.jpg   004.jpg   005.jpg  

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2010, 04:04 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here is some more.

006.jpg   008.jpg   010.jpg   011.jpg  

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-13-2010, 04:07 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

And some more.

012.jpg   013.jpg   015.jpg  

Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I've been wanting to try this with spring steel for a while. Love the blower setup, I may have to copy it
Plan on buying (or stealng )a toaster oven to do the tempering outside though. Don't have any family members that'll let me use their oven
I'd love to see the locust handle scales. My dad made a few wading staffs from locust saplings and rub finished with linseed oil years ago and I don't know a tougher, harder wood once dried.
I beat one off a metal door frame repeatedly one time(don't ask) and barely dented the wood.
Hornbeam might be one I'd think about though, It has a really rough, grainy texture(almost like antler) but getting a section for scales without cracks would be a challenge

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 09-13-2010, 05:15 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey Gate, this setup would have worked perfectly if I had been a little more patient. Once I sanded off the black crap from the blade, there was no smell whatsoever when I tempered it.
I will be posting pics next week of the finish sanding and handle intallation.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I forgot this pic, after it came out of the oven, looks like straw colored to me.

016.jpg  

Old 09-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

The knife came out looking like red hot magma. sweet.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:24 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Doc, that part that is yellow/white may have actually burned away the carbon in that part of the blade, destroying the steel there, from what I read, it should have been dull to cherry red the whole length. I guess I'll find out later when I try to chop down a tree with it!

Old 09-13-2010, 05:25 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I temper with a big bertha torch tip and oxy-acetylene set-up.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #10

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The best way to learn is to try, P-Mo. That is very cool.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."