Making my own knife. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons >

Making my own knife.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Props panda!

Looks great and you did it! That has to feel good.

Keep us in the loop.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Nice work, Panda! What sorf of tools do you have for the heat treatment? I might be able to offer some advice. I'm not a knife maker but a couple of my friends are and I've attended their classes and translated their lessons into English.

One of them did a short article on how to forge your first knife without having a lot of tools (and withouth knowing the sort of steel you were using). I remember translating it, I'll dig around and see if I can find it.
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-08-2010, 03:29 AM   #23

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

P-Mo is bringing it!

I have not tried to make an actual blade, but love to replace the handles on my knives. Usually Micarta, or wood.

Texas Knife.com is a great source of both knife supplies, and knife making information.

I can't wait to see the finished knife. MAD PROPS!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-08-2010, 04:57 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, this little project actually has me pretty amped up! I can't wait to get it finished. I really do not have high hopes at all for a good heat treat, and without that it wont be much good for any thing but looking at.

Francisco, I don't have a damn thing as far as equipment to heat treat. I was thinking about an old charcoal bar-b-que grill with some holes in the bottom to blow air up through to get it hot enough. I am WIDE open to suggestions if any one has any ideas.

Depending how this turns out (more like regardless), I plan on buying some steel stock that I know what it is, I am thinking 1095 high carbon, make the blades and ship them out for heat treating and tempering. This way I can have a knife I made that I can actually use. I want to make up to 20 blades to ship out, keeps the costs of heat treating down. I have other designs in mind too, wish me luck!

After this is done I will beat the crap out of it and do a report with pics.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-08-2010, 05:06 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Cool. I'm following along.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #26

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
Thanks guys, this little project actually has me pretty amped up! I can't wait to get it finished. I really do not have high hopes at all for a good heat treat, and without that it wont be much good for any thing but looking at.

Francisco, I don't have a damn thing as far as equipment to heat treat. I was thinking about an old charcoal bar-b-que grill with some holes in the bottom to blow air up through to get it hot enough. I am WIDE open to suggestions if any one has any ideas.

Depending how this turns out (more like regardless), I plan on buying some steel stock that I know what it is, I am thinking 1095 high carbon, make the blades and ship them out for heat treating and tempering. This way I can have a knife I made that I can actually use. I want to make up to 20 blades to ship out, keeps the costs of heat treating down. I have other designs in mind too, wish me luck!

After this is done I will beat the crap out of it and do a report with pics.
Get to it! Chop, chop! (Get it?)

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Putting on the handle

You might want to use stainless screws. Drill and tap thru the steel and the handle material, Put a good epoxy between the parts and tighten the hell out of the Screws. Remove the head with a hack saw, or a file. don't over heat the screw i'tll burn the handle. I used this method on all my work knives. Black micarta would look good on that pig sticker.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Get to it! Chop, chop! (Get it?)
Ahhhhh, patience grasshopper...

I'm gonna try for next weekend to attempt the heat treat and temper, the following weekend for the scales,I hope. Just so yooz guyz know.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Heat treating.......

As an after thought, was that the only piece of steel you had. You could have a trial piece to see if It will take to hardening before you do the blade.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
You might want to use stainless screws. Drill and tap thru the steel and the handle material, Put a good epoxy between the parts and tighten the hell out of the Screws. Remove the head with a hack saw, or a file. don't over heat the screw i'tll burn the handle. I used this method on all my work knives. Black micarta would look good on that pig sticker.
Jantz suppy co has what are called Corby rivets, they screw together and have a built in countersink, then you grind off the screw slot when you shape the handle, I will probably use those on "later models", but for now it will probably be peened over brass pins. I am more than likely going to go with Black Locust scales, hard and attractive wood.