Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Making my own knife.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
An old leaf spring from an old truck is a cheap way to go.
There was a guy that came to the local county fair when i was a teen who made knives for sale from old used sawmill blades.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 PM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
There was a guy that came to the local county fair when i was a teen who made knives for sale from old used sawmill blades.
My father in law made several out of old saw mill blades that he picked up here and there. He used deer antler from deer he's hunted. The knives I have are great.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've heard that old sawmill blades make an excellent source of steel. Rudy Ruana made his knives out of old GMC truck springs, but leaf springs are very thick and will require forging or MUCH surface grinding.
By the way, I'm not trying to pose as any kind of expert here, I'm just a plumber who's read a couple of books and made a few knives. Not particularly wonderfully either. If I wasn't such a techno-tard I'd post a couple of pics and show you my feeble efforts, but I can't even attach a pic to an e-mail.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #14

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Nice Pandamonium, if anything, it would make a great throwing knife, once finished and balanced.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-07-2010, 01:57 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, I took some time today because I could. Spent that time grinding and sanding.
Pic #1- Fresh off the grinder, pretty much the final outine.
Pic #2- Fits my hand right nice!
Pic #3- My belt sander in a vice and the grinder, hey, it's all I had!
Pic #4- Finished shaping and profiling, I will probably try to heat treat too, just to try. Without knowing what the steel is it'll be a shot in the dark. But it will be worth it just for the experience.
I plan on doing some wood scales, I will post finished pics at a later date, it might take me a bit though.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-07-2010, 02:11 AM   #16

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Nice work. Look forward to seeing the progression until it is finished. What type of wood are you going to use for the handles? Are you going to use mosaic pins? Just curious to hear what your plans for it are.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have'nt decided on the type of wood to use for the handles, I have in stock; cherry, red oak, quater sawn white oak, walnut, black locust, maple, mahogany(brazilian), I think that's it. The black locust is really hard, I might use that, still undecided though.

As far as pinning, not sure, I was thinking about brass pins and peening them over and the grinding/shaping.

And thanks for the positive feedback guys, I am happy with the progress but it is always good to hear compliments.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #18

nice looking piece there: When i was in highschool i did the same thing, made several prototypes out of mild steel to learn how to get my shapes right, and what tools to use. Now i know how make good steel into what i want.

I personally like old files/rasps there plentiful and cheap. all you have to do is stick them in a campfire over night to take the hardness out of the steel then you shape and polish, then re heat treat. Its easy

Old 09-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Heat treat it and see how it comes out before you decided what to use for handle stock. I'd save the black locust for something you know is good. Looking good.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Keep us in the loop. I like it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams