Making my own knife.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Making my own knife.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Making my own knife.

Well, I have wanted to for about forever, so, I found me a THICK piece of steel, drew out the basic shape I like and cut it out with an angle grinder. Here are some pics of the progression so far. Haven't done any grinding yet other than to knock off the sharp edges from the angle grinder. The first pics are from my phone, sorry about the quality.

017-3-.jpg   018-2-.jpg   008-2-.jpg  

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by canebrake; 09-07-2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Looks good. Big too.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-06-2010, 06:01 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Thats going to look good.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You have a great start going there. What kind of steel is it? Do you know how to heat treat it? If not, go ahead and grid it to the shape you desire, grind the edge and sharpen it. Then throw it away. Order a piece of good steel from Jantz Supply, Texas Knifemakers, or someplace more specialized. Then grind that to shape,don't sharpen it, and heat treat it according to instruction, or if you don't have the equipment (especially if it's stainless) send it to Paul Bos in El Cajon CA (he does the heat treat for Buck) and tell him what kind of steel it is. It will cost you a few $ but you will have a knife you can be proud of beyond your lifetime.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is a first attempt, I have no idea what kind of steel it is, not that worried about it at this point. My plan is to proceed through the entire making process including heat treating, if it sucks then it sucks. This is a learning process for me and we shall see how it turns out. I will continue to post pics of the progress.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
You have a great start going there. What kind of steel is it? Do you know how to heat treat it? If not, go ahead and grid it to the shape you desire, grind the edge and sharpen it. Then throw it away. Order a piece of good steel from Jantz Supply, Texas Knifemakers, or someplace more specialized. Then grind that to shape,don't sharpen it, and heat treat it according to instruction, or if you don't have the equipment (especially if it's stainless) send it to Paul Bos in El Cajon CA (he does the heat treat for Buck) and tell him what kind of steel it is. It will cost you a few $ but you will have a knife you can be proud of beyond your lifetime.
Man you're cold.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
This is a first attempt, I have no idea what kind of steel it is, not that worried about it at this point. My plan is to proceed through the entire making process including heat treating, if it sucks then it sucks. This is a learning process for me and we shall see how it turns out. I will continue to post pics of the progress.
Good for you and I commend you for trying to learn. Hope this is the first of many.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That's not cold. I've ground a bunch of knives out of 3/16" cold rolled just for practice and thrown them away. Done a bunch out of wood too. It's not easy to get those edge lines right, and it's a shame to screw up a $20 piece of steel. And it's a shame to put all the finish work into a pice of mild steel that will never get hard no matter what you do to it. I was trying to be a nice guy and doing my usual poor job of it.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
That's not cold. I've ground a bunch of knives out of 3/16" cold rolled just for practice and thrown them away. Done a bunch out of wood too. It's not easy to get those edge lines right, and it's a shame to screw up a $20 piece of steel. And it's a shame to put all the finish work into a pice of mild steel that will never get hard no matter what you do to it. I was trying to be a nice guy and doing my usual poor job of it.
Excellent advice, if using the knife for actual tasks, but a sticker doesn't really need a hard edge, LOL. I'm taking your advice when I make my next push dagger. Thanks!

TACTICAL22.NET,NRA, VCDL

Old 09-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #10

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

An old leaf spring from an old truck is a cheap way to go.