Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Machete vs. Cutlass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Mine says Corneta made in El Salvadore with the numbers 24 and 27

Old 06-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superc View Post
That's interesting about the German names. My 'unknown maker' perfect short machete pictured has (near the hilt on the left side) a stamping that looks like a small pine tree. Could it be an arbolito?
Böker's tree doesn't look like a pine, it's a chesnut tree. But just in case, if you've got a photo post it. I've got a book that lists all the stamps used by Böker through the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Mine says Corneta made in El Salvadore with the numbers 24 and 27
Usually the first number is the model, and the second is the blade length. For instance, the one I posted is a model 8 (used in sugar cane plantations) with a 20" blade.

Superc, sorry I can't help with the cutlass. Swords are not my thing. My experience is quite limited to some custom Japanese style swords and nihontos and a few Cold Steel models I sell. Mostly katanas and hand and a half swords which are OK for the money.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 06-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'll try, but I can tell you now, it won't be a very good picture. While the stamping was nice and sharp back in 1967 or 68 when I got it, it has been used a heck of a lot, and the stamp is, these days, only about half there..

Understood about the sword thing. Kind of esoterica, I know.

A shame Busse is all hung up on fighting knives, bet they could make a serious 20" machete if they tried..

Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #14

I know this is an old thread, but I have one of these as well as a OKC 18" machete. I've beat the sh#t out of both of them so I feel qualified to answer. To answer the original question, yes it would work for your purpose. The 1917 from cold steel is a beast! I've cut down small and not so small pine trees with it, as well as many tree limbs, vines, bushes, ect and it hasn't suffered any real damage at all. That being said it is a weapon first, so it has some draw backs as a tool. One is it gets heavy real fast compared to a machete. The other is it is costly compared to a machete. The OKC is well an OKC. It cuts about as well as the cutlass, and edge holding is about equal between them. The cutlass has a defiant advantage in reach, but I can swing the OKC for much longer without wearing out. Read into this as you will, I love them both and do not have a favorite. Blade thickness on the cutlass is .20in OKC is .115.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I thank you very much. That is precisely the information I was seeking.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #16

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

And it only took you nearly 2 and a half years to get it!

How often does a zombie thread get resurrected, and the OP is not only still subscribed, but responds within a few hours. Amazing.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
And it only took you nearly 2 and a half years to get it!

How often does a zombie thread get resurrected, and the OP is not only still subscribed, but responds within a few hours. Amazing.
thats a first for sure!! ive never seen it happen lol. EVER

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #18

This needs an FTF hall of fame award.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #19

WOW, I really was just posting because last year wile I was researching the 1917 I ran across this forum and really wanted an answer. and since I have one now, I figured I'd put the info up for the next guy. I have some pretty good videos of myself testing it out if you want I'll post a link.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #20

You thought about this for over a year? Dedication man. My ADD won't allow that.