looking for a new EDC knife. need reccomendations
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > looking for a new EDC knife. need reccomendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I am looking for a benchmade or spyderco (or something similar) for 60 dollars or less. I would prefer something with a thumbhole, and I don't care if its assisted opening. I may be willing to spend a bit more if the knife is worth it, but I cannot justify spending hundreds of dollars on a pocket knife. I just want something sturdy and reliable with around a 3 inch blade, preferably a thumbole and a pocket clip. I need suggestions, I've looked on the spyderco and benchmade websites and don't know where to begin. The majority of the knives I've seen are like 150-200 bucks. I know they got cheaper ones but like I said Idk what to look for. Thanks

Edit: it doesn't need to be a fighting knife; just something Sharp to cut things that need to be cut- whether it be packages, small game, string, mail, sticks... Whatever I may need it for. If I am in a situation where I need it for defense and I don't have anything better to use then as long as its better than a fist I'm good

Last edited by comeback_kid; 12-22-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2011, 01:53 AM   #2

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts

You'd be hard pressed to find anything from Benchmade that fits your criteria, but Spyderco has a number of good offerings... The Tenacious, the Delica, the Endura and the list goes on. Now on their online catalog these are all very pricey knives, but you can catch most of these on eBay for much more reasonable prices. I personally have a SOG FlashII as my EDC of choice and couldn't be happier... Super lightweight, thin in the pocket, large blade, and decent steel... It does not have a thumb hole but it is assisted open and flies out like lightning... The clip makes it ride really low in the pocket so it is pretty discreet and not as likely to hang up on things as knives that can not tuck in so well... I was able to get mine for only 35 bucks shipped... Can't go wrong...I would also advise a long hard look at the SOG Aegis... a fantastic all around blade shape and again very light and ergonomic...

Old 12-22-2011, 03:27 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think I've settled on the SOG trident mini tanto. It will be my first AO as well as my first tanto. Anyone have any objections? I think the catalog price was 85 dollars; amazon price is 53 shipped

Last edited by comeback_kid; 12-22-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts

I think the Trident is a fine knife. That particular model, however, can create a lot of panic in the general public as it bears a very tactical and fairly heavy blade design. The only thing I would warn you about is blades with a wide spine to blade measurement are not conducive to detailed cutting. I use my EDCs for a number of things and the few I have with broad blades see very little use because they just prove themselves poorly suited to many applications.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I went with the trident- however I got the mini, not the full size. I think the mini is exactly what I wanted. It's not too small, and not too big to possibly "terrorize" the more sensitive public. The slot in the handle for cutting while closed is kinda pointless but I kinda expected it to be. it isn't a problem at all, it doesn't take away from the grip. I'll post some pics when I get the chance. It's a tanto blade with a black tini coating. Its awesome. One day I would like a high dollar benchmade or something but it ain't a priority right now.

Last edited by comeback_kid; 12-24-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #6

If that knife doesn't satisfy, try an Ontario RAT 1 folder. It's my edc and its a hoss. Priced at around $35, well worth the money....IMO anyway....

Old 12-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'll check it out. Can't have too many knives. If my wallet would allow it I would have just about everything out there. Same with guns. 35 dollars isn't bad at all. I've heard great things about Ontario

Old 12-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Here's a few cellphone pics. Kinda crappy but hopefully those viewing this can get a basic idea on the size. I have relatively small/skinny hands
forumrunner_20111224_200549.jpg   forumrunner_20111224_200628.jpg   forumrunner_20111224_200716.jpg  

Old 12-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My main knife is a Benchmade Griptillian. I didn't pay for it...it was an award for top marksman in my academy. I think they sell for just over a hundred at the local store. Also have a Kershaw, but can't remember the model...it is a fine blade and was like 60 new. Check both of them out for your next blade.

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 12-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yea I really like the griptillians