Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Other Weapons > Looking for a good starter bow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 482 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Default Looking for a good starter bow

My oldest son (Age 14 and taller than me) is interested in archery. I'm thinking it's not a bad skill to have myself. Unfortunately, the price of bows makes firearms look affordable.

I saw some decent training kits at Bass Pro Shops the other day that were all in the $185 to $225 range. That's more what I was hoping to find but not sure if that's really a good price. I'm looking for something fairly cheap for learning purposes as I don't want to spend $500 and find out neither one of us really has the aptitude. At the same time I'm willing to spend a little money for some "hands on" experience and depending on how that goes we may even look for a local instructor.

Any recommendations on a decent starter bow that won't break the bank?

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Find a store in your area with a knowledgeable staff. There are many questions you need to answer. What type of bow are you looking for? What will you use it for? What is the draw length and poundage you need/want? What kind of arrows will you use?
Check out Lancaster archery for some bow options.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1498

Two big considerations for smaller and beginning archers are 1) draw weight, for obvious reasons and 2) brace height (distance from bow string to arrow rest), the longer the brace height, the more forgiving the bow.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd recommend dealing with a professional archery shop with personnel who hunt and shoot archery. Even if you have to pay a little more.

A bow is a very personal tool that needs to fit its user. I wouldn't trust just any "sporting goods" employee to know how to determine proper draw length, draw weight, arrow length and spine, releases, etc. Deal with someone equipped to deal with your questions and concerns. And yes, spending a bit on some good instruction will definitely pay off.

Archery is a great sporting activity whether you both hunt or not, and a good excuse to spend some quality time with your son.

I guess I just basically expanded on mountainman13's points, but they're good ones!

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The diamond razors edge made by bow tech.$320 range. Mine shoots great. 30-60 lb draw adjustment. Lightweight fit for youth to adult.

3Now therefore, gather your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field to hunt game for me.4 And make me savory food, such as I love and bring it to me that I may eat..(Genesis 27:3-4)

Old 03-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #6

Liked 482 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have to look around for a specialty shop, but this being DFW I'm sure there is one somewhere.

I'm not knocking my local Sporting Goods stores at all, but they do seem kind of "skinny" when it comes to archery. The Bass Pro Shop has a fairly impressive selection but no one working the counter. Says a lot right there, especially when they almost always have someone working the knife counter when I walk in, even if there is no one around.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Old 03-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #7

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll have to look around for a specialty shop, but this being DFW I'm sure there is one somewhere.

I'm not knocking my local Sporting Goods stores at all, but they do seem kind of "skinny" when it comes to archery. The Bass Pro Shop has a fairly impressive selection but no one working the counter. Says a lot right there, especially when they almost always have someone working the knife counter when I walk in, even if there is no one around.
MOst big box stores don't really have any one that actually knows ANYTHING about bows. Another alternative is you can do some some homework and buy used. Now that bow models change more often than car styles there are plenty of folks unloading bows that are only a few years old for a fraction of their original price to get the latest wiz-bang out there. Many of these bows are hardly used and you can get some really sweet deals on some very high end equipment.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I would suggest looking into the winchester brand of bows. I bought the "thunderbolt" for my youngest and it has quite a bit of adjustment built into it.

IIRC it stretches from 13-29 inch draw length and runs from 20 lb draw up to 50lb. I want to say it was $300 all set up with lanyard, whisker biskit, peep and pin sights.

Winchester makes AMAZINGLY good bow. My buddy bought one of the adult versions and it is FAST and extremely quiet...if i handt already bought my new bow the season before i would have gotten one for me.

But as others have said...find a GOOD archery shop in your area. Big box store like Dicks or Gander SUCK!

Good luck!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!